FORTY-ONE

D'Angelo

A middle-aged woman rushed out, falling at my feet and weeping. "Alpha, please temper justice with mercy. I know you didn't touch my son. I don't know his vendetta against Kira that is making him act so irrational."

"That's Laura, his mum," Kira whispered to me.

"Get a grip on yourself, woman. I'm not killing your son. I just need to know the truth. Send for him now. "

For a moment, I felt pity for the woman. She looked like I was sending her to the grave.

Zion was a pathetic sight indeed. He had a black eye and a swollen lip, and he was limping and trembling. But I knew that the fucker must have staged this and maybe told his friends to beat him up.

"Stand right here," I ordered him.

"Why are you lying against me, telling everyone I beat you up? Tell me when it happened," I demanded.

His face held fear and hatred.

"With all due respect, alpha, I'm not lying. You sent your boys to beat me up because you hate me."

"Oh," I laughed at his absurdity. "Are you sure you don't need to get your brains checked? Because you're speaking like an insane psychopath. Tell me why I would send my boys to beat you up."

"Because of Kira," he deadpanned, and I restrained myself from squeezing the life out of his thin, malnourished neck.

"But Kira is mine," I chuckled. "She's my mate and has already broken up with you. Is that why you're bitter?"

"He's making everything up," Kira said. "His bitterness has blinded his eyes."

Zion glared at Kira with contempt.

"The funny thing is I don't even care about you," I said to Zion. "I don't care whether you exist or not. Why in the world should I be concerned about you when I have so many other issues and pack responsibilities to take care of?"

"But I'm sure. I'm sure of what I'm saying."

Mad with rage, I gave him a slap on his left cheek, right cheek, and left cheek again. Then, a huge knock on his head. He flinched, and Kira shrieked, with her mother Imani rushing to my side, trying to hold me back.

"Please, alpha, please don't do anything rash. He's already bleeding."

I hated liars and troublemakers, and this idiot was going to pay for lying against me.

"Please," Kira pleaded, looking at me with her blue eyes, the color of an ocean. I couldn't resist or say no to her.

"Fine, I'll be gentle because of you. However, I have to get the truth from this boy, so I will take him to make sure his wounds are healed before I start questioning him."

The boy looked scared now and  the elders snapped at him to head to the car.

"Don't be scared. We're just going to the clinic. Kira is coming with us."

After much hesitation, he complied. Kira settled into the passenger seat, and I drove off. Just to be a little petty, I placed my hand on Kira's thigh, happy that she was putting on a miniskirt.

We got to the clinic, and I instructed the doctor to give Zion special treatment, ensuring his wounds were attended properly and also providing him with plenty of nourishment, with any food of his choice.

"He needs energy for the task ahead," I said to the doctor with a mischievous grin.

Back in the car, I was alone with Kira, and when I began driving, she boldly placed my free hand on her thigh.

"You're such a naughty girl," I smiled.

"Thank you for the phone and everything. It means a lot to me."

"Ask for anything you want, and I promise to make it happen. Anything to see that beautiful smile on your face all day."

She blinked, surprised. "Anything?"

"Yep," I lifted a brow.

"But you're already doing more than enough. Our lives have changed in just one month. We've gone from being refugees and paupers to having our own space, all thanks to you."

"Tell me what you want in life. What are your hopes? What do you wish for?"

She shrugged. "Well, I'd have loved to attend a formal high school," she admitted. "The education we get from the elders isn't standard enough. And although we've learned some basic stuff like arithmetic and reading, I want more. I wish to learn in a proper learning environment and expand my horizons."

I smiled to myself. The girl was smart indeed.

"Is that all you want?"

"I love flowers too. I love planting and growing them. Unfortunately, my flowers got burnt at the Omega camp, but I began planting last week. I'd love to sell flowers or even own a flower shop."

"How would you feel if I granted all your requests?"

She turned to me sharply, with disbelief in her eyes. "Are you serious?"

"I don't play with my promises, honey. I love you. I love you more than anything. I'll do anything for you."

She gasped. "You just said you loved me."

"And I meant it."

I pulled her closer and kissed her.

"Let's start with school first," I said to her when she pulled away. We drove back to the Omega house. I sent for young Omegas from ages 10 to 18 who needed to go to school. They all had curious looks on their faces.

Compassion filled me. Truly, my father and ancestors had failed these people. Most of them had potential that needed to be sharpened.

"I have been informed that a few of you would like to pursue formal education, so I decided to take the initiative to make that happen because I am the alpha. The pack schools offer formal education, and they teach various subjects and skills, preparing you for college. Regardless of your breed or rank, I would see to it that everyone is treated with respect."

They appeared so taken aback.

"First, you'd have to take a test to determine your classes. The tests are not hard, but not easy either. In order for your teachers to place you at the proper level and pace, you will take the test to gauge your knowledge and skills. Additionally, you can continue on to college after high school to develop into responsible members of society."

Even though Kira was the main reason I was doing this, I was happy to do it for everyone.

They applauded and cheered, looking at me with admiration and respect.