TWENTY-NINE

D'Angelo

My excitement level increased when I realized that my plan to make sure Kira was placed in the alpha's quarters had succeeded, and a sly smile appeared on my lips.

I was even more pleased and proud that my plan worked as intended. Yes, I brought Kira in to further my own agenda, and I wasn't ashamed to say so.

Though I wasn't in love with Alexis, I did care about her well-being and the health of my unborn child, so I would have to exercise caution because she was ruthless and could destroy anyone who dared to oppose her in any way.

I could only contain my raging hormones for the time being, but my mouth felt dry as Kira walked past me and my balls hurt from wanting her so much.

I was tempted to kiss the girl until she let out a cry because she had such beautiful curves. But I would have to suppress my cravings and hide our relationship whenever Alexis was around.

But the minute I saw Kira emerge from behind the glass walls and head toward the apple orchard, I said, "Fuck it," and rushed into my bedroom to throw on a shirt.

I made sure everything was clear before rushing downstairs and stealthily making my way toward her in the orchard. I inhaled her scent as if it were my only hope for survival.

Though it was pointless to hide since she would eventually smell the mating bond, it was still important to surprise her.

The smell of ripening apples and the earth filled my nose, as well as my bond with Kira.

Heavenly.

She had her back to me as she gazed at the main garden's explosion of sunflowers, yellow lilies, red roses, and marigolds. I could tell she was smiling from her side view.

She turned quickly, her head tilted to the side, and she blinked in surprise as she locked eyes with me.

She stepped back, lowering her head. I felt my body temperature rise and my stomach flutter when I was alone with her.

Then she looked away for a moment, and then did exactly what I had anticipated—she ignored me completely and got to work picking the ripe apples.

"Are you going to pretend like I'm not here?"

I could tell she was annoyed by the way she yanked the apples and placed them into a red bowl.

"I greeted you earlier, Alpha," she said quietly. "Yet I wonder if the Alpha had anything to do with my assignment here."

She lifted her gaze while I shrugged, pretending not to know what she was talking about.

"Do you have a choice? Or do you expect to be spoon-fed without working?"

"I love to work," she cut me off. "But another place could have been better? You are disrespecting your girlfriend and trying to play mind games with me. It's unfair."

Her words made my heart clench. Alexis wasn't my girlfriend, she was carrying my child and I had no romantic feelings whatsoever for her. I didn't force her to spike my drink and have her way with me. I didn't force her to keep the pregnancy.

Despite the annoyance that was about to overwhelm me, I inched closer to Kira, an intense desire burning inside of me. She intensified my desire for sex.

Her face caught my attention, but I was too preoccupied to look past it to her flawlessly round breasts. I could picture her nipples getting harder beneath my eyes. My hands tingle from wanting to touch her, from needing to be touched.

"Why do you sound so uncomfortable?" I asked as I reached out and gently rubbed the back of my knuckles against her cheek. I paused to let my finger hang over her jawline, then reached down and intertwined our fingers.

Our connection burned brightly through my fingers, filling my chest with warmth and dyspnea.

"Alpha, this is not right," she trembled. "We could be discovered."

"Doing what?" I smirked. "Stop worrying so much."

"I'm not," she said, biting her lower lip. "All I am trying to do is stay focused."

"That will be difficult with me by your side." I moved closer, putting my arm around her. She looked away, blushing.

My body started to react to our proximity; it was so strong that I shuddered.

"Gosh, you're hotter than a sunburn."

She reddened and covered her face with her hair. When I kissed her neck, she gasped and blinked in surprise.

There was nothing more sensual than that.

Her mouth was aching to be kissed, but her resistance had vanished and was replaced with guilt as she asked, "What are you doing?"

"Nothing," I smirked, taking her hair out of her face. "Just a ruined male admiring his mate.

"You can't do this to her," she trembled. "She's carrying your baby."

"And you are my soulmate, Kira." I took her hand, massaged it, and placed it on my heart. "Can you feel my heart beating? Can you hear my blood rushing? Do you know how happy I am to be near you?"

A sensation so intense that it nearly knocked me to my knees tightened my stomach. The sensation overwhelmed me and I wanted to taste her. My balls were on the verge of exploding.

I pulled her closer until our bodies joined together; we hugged eye to eye, with our lips barely touching.

"Please, Alpha...I... I can't do this," she whispered, pulling away from me. "Please don't make me."

"Call me D'Angelo," I corrected. "I want you to see me as your soul mate, not as your Alpha."

She breathed noisily as I caressed her body with my hand, and without thinking, the touch grew hot and heavy. My carnal sensations were taking over my logical reasoning.

"Please, let me kiss you, Kira," I pleaded.

When my lips touched hers, there was a deep sexual desire between us; she eagerly responded by grabbing at my back.

That kiss was long and leisurely, the kiss to end all kisses. I went hard, soft, then hard again, and I let my body become candy to her hungry hands.

The kiss kindled a fierce, passionate need inside of me. I invaded her mouth, not stopping and not planning to stop, and maybe at this point, damning the consequences.