Seventy-One

D'angelo

When Kira left the hospital, my body and mind became restless. Even though a guard drove her home, I just couldn't help the quell of fear in my heart.

Now that she was marked, she would be a target for my enemies and those I had hurt, whether intentionally or not. It was getting darker, and she hadn't returned yet. I tried to relax by watching the news, but I couldn't focus until I heard a knock on the door.

Leo walked in carrying a basket of fresh fruits, my favorite brand of apple juice, and some bread. He approached my bed with a relaxed smile, and I gave him a clenched half-smile.

"Did you see Kira on the way here?" I asked him. He frowned and shook his head, running a hand through his hair.

“Not even a hello? Am I that insignificant? And to answer your question, I did not see your Kira. What is the problem?"

"Nothing," I said, standing up and heading to the window that overlooked a beautiful hillside with goats chewing grass.

"Are you okay?" he asked behind me, putting his hand on my back. "Well, I know you're not, but is there anything you would like me to handle?"

I let out a long, low sigh, and my response was toneless. "Just keep doing your thing and fill in for me while I'm away. That's more than enough assistance.

Leo's body sagged against the wall, and I hoped he would not say something cliched like, "You will get through this" or "It's always darkest before the storm." I hated such words and wondered why people even used them when consoling others.

"Zina wants Grey's funeral to be held as soon as possible." We are expecting his brother to join us."

I had an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach and a flutter of guilt. I then turned around to face Leo.

"Tell me, Leo, what I should do. She can't even stand me anymore."

Leo wet his lips with his tongue. "What happened was a misfortune, and pushing too hard may result in contempt or scorn. She blames you for her husband's death and is in a dark place, so give her some time, and I'm sure she will come around."

"That's what everybody says," I mumbled. "What happens if she never forgives me? Do you realize how heartbroken that would make me?”

He raised his head and met my gaze. "You can't always get everything done the way you want, D'Angelo. Give her time."

Then he gave me a breakdown of pack activities and how our members were holding up until our conversation took a serious tone when I brought up the infiltration during the war.

"Any news on how the enemies were able to sneak into our midst?" I asked, flinching as images of Grey taking the poison for me flashed through my mind.

He shook his head. "No concrete news yet, but everyone is working to get to the bottom of this."

"That's not good enough, Leo," I said with a hardened tone. "You and the team must work even harder to find out. Grey deserves justice, and those who orchestrated this must be executed. And, who knows, Zina may find it easier to forgive if justice is served."

Leo nodded solemnly, and my thoughts shifted to the war. Then something clicked in my mind, and an awakening question flooded my mind, shocking me as I considered it with terrifying clarity.

Leo was not with me during the victory dance. That was highly concerning.  While studying him, I mentally went over everything that had happened before and during the war, but there was no reason to eavesdrop or criticize Leo's work. He was doing fantastic as my Beta.

"I have a question for you." I said, and he nodded."Where were you during the victory dance?"

He cocked his head to the side, watching me with no fear in his eyes.

"I was with the others. Why do you ask?"

"Nothing. I was just curious if you were in the vicinity when Grey died."

His smile faded and his face became rigid.

"The war had ended. Nobody predicted that turn of events. I was probably resting or drinking some water.”

"Relax," I chuckled, resting my hand on his shoulder. "There's no need to get defensive; I was just asking an innocent question."

He leaned away, sucking in his cheeks. "Defensive? I was taken aback by the questions because the way you asked them suggests that I have an ulterior motive."

"If you're innocent, why would you have an ulterior motive?" I countered. "Besides, you of all people know that anyone who tries to backstab me or steal what is mine will end up regretting it."

"Of course," he replied, nodding in agreement. "you're the most powerful alpha I know, full of power and authority. But don't worry, I will never fail you."

Leo left after that awkward conversation, and I was worried that I had asked an insensitive question. But the circumstances were beyond my control, and no one was immune from suspicion.

I was about to call the pack house when Kira walked in carrying her bag. I broke out in a small relieved smile, wishing to be held. She sank into a chair and raised her legs to a small table in the room.

"Did you eat dinner? You should be asleep now," she began, but I interrupted her.

"I was worried about you. "I thought something bad had happened to you."

Kira sat up, pulling her long hair into a messy bun. "Why are people becoming increasingly concerned that something will happen to me? My mom couldn't stop begging me to be extra cautious around people because she has been having nightmares about me getting hurt."

I reached out, lifted her from the chair, and pulled her into a hug."I'm also worried that I marked you too early. I need to strengthen my security around you."

"Oh, no, don't give me bodyguards," she moaned. "I still need my freedom."

"Unfortunately, you will need someone to follow you around and keep you safe. I was the war's target, and I'm sure my enemies would do anything to make my life miserable, including murdering my loved ones."

Her gaze swept across my face, the blue shining under the hospital lights.

"I stopped by to say hello to Zina. She acts like a different person now, but I don't blame her; she is grieving after all."

"Leo suggested that we stay away from her for now and give her the space she requires, so I don't think it's a good idea for you to visit her until she asks for it."

"But That's not fair," she started to complain, but I stopped her by placing a hand on her cheek.

"Believe me, I know what I'm saying. Just leave her alone for now, until she calls for you. She decides when she wants to be open. Let us be respectful of her privacy. Her relatives, including Grey's mom and brother, will join her. She has all the help she needs."

Kira relented and kissed me on the lips with such force that I nearly fell backward on the floor. I took control and kissed her back.

When she rubbed against my fly, I felt a tingle in the pit of my stomach. Pulling her closer, my cock throbbed with anticipation, but I had to wait until she was ready.

She unbuttoned her blouse and placed my fingers between her breasts, massaging and moving them with her hands.

"Mmm," she moaned, running her hands across my chest and down my waist. She kissed my neck again, then down my chest and toward the waistband of my pants.

The sweet scent of her wetness filled my nostrils. She whimpered and undid my belt buckle.

"Do you really want to do this?" I said with a huskier voice than usual. “I don't want you to feel…”

"We are going to have a great time," she said, smiling broadly. "Lock the door and let me show you."

I did and slid off my pants, watching as Kira lowered herself onto the bed, like a temptress luring me into her lair. The room darkened, and the scent of arousal filled the air, making my cock twang with anticipation.

"I have wanted this all day," I whispered into her ear, pressing hot, wet kisses against her jaw. “It's time to make you a woman.”