Seven

Kira

My sadness was choking me as the day went on. I was too caught off guard by sorrow to see where my future would lead.

I cupped my head in my left palm. I couldn't even participate in the Omega girls' activities. My heart was always hurting from the constant pain that the alpha would never accept me.

I was, after all, a dirty Omega.

I never bothered to talk to my mom about my problems. The woman had a lot on her plate already. It was going to break her to tell her that the Alpha was my mate. I turned to face the wall while lying on my thin mattress as footsteps drew near.

"Kira, honey, are you okay?" My mom's voice pierced through my thoughts as she held a bowl of soup above me.

"I'm fine, Mom," I lied, forcing a smile.

She knew me too well to believe it. She touched the spot on my arm where a long scar that extended from my shoulder to my elbow was still visible and asked, "Does your wound still hurt?"

"No, it doesn't," I said, pulling away.

"Is it something else, then? Are you having issues with Zion or Amari? Did any of the Omegas make offensive remarks to you? she asked, trying hard to guess the reason for my sadness.

"No, Mom, nothing like that.”

Amari was now very careful about hanging out with me. I was the latest swine, and she didn't want to incur the wrath of her mother.

"Since when did you start hiding things from me? You seem to have been keeping things from me ever since you turned eighteen."

She launched a brief rant about how I foolishly followed other people to the main pack and got into problems while they made their getaway.

"Please stop, Mom," I wobbled like a worm and grumbled, "I have a headache."

"I won't stop until you tell me what the problem is. I am done with surprises.

I turned my head away. How could I tell her that I felt a deep bond with the alpha? What the alpha had in store for me was beyond the power of my mom's comprehension.

Zion walked in with a foolish smile as if to irritate me even more. Or maybe I was exaggerating and becoming unnecessarily enraged.

Apart from the boyfriend tag, Zion was a great friend, and I was confident that we would remain friends even if he eventually met his soul mate.

Had he not guided me to that doomed terrace, had I not entered the main pack, I might never have found my mate, and maybe that would have been a better choice for me.

It was strange how all of my former affection for Zion was erased by the mating bond.

It just disappeared.

"Zion, what's wrong with Kira? Are there problems between you two?"

Mom always thought Zion was a good match for me and gave her approval. Often grinning, she would say, "He'll make a good husband. You need to be with someone who will not abandon you, as your father did for us."

Zion assisted me with everything, especially household tasks, and was a year older than I was. The only arguments we had before D'Angelo were when I would refuse to have sex with him and when I pushed him to focus on his studies.

Learning from our ignorant elders was a depressing method of education. They gave us lessons in grammar, math, and werewolf history. Zion was street-smart but sucked at schoolwork.

"Problems?” Zion questioned, looking puzzled and casting a glance at me, then back at my mom while I gave him the stink eye, signaling him to remain silent.