Eighty

Leo dared to come pick me up from the airport. The shameless bastard was grinning and his eyes sparkled as he saluted me with a casual tilt of his head.

Acting like a fool, I stepped out of the airport terminal, pretending to be delighted to see him. If the heart was transparent, Leo would have seen the flames of hatred burning in them and run for his life.

Leo approached me, his steps arrogant and self-assured. The false pleasantries made me sick. His grin widened as if he had won some twisted game. My breath sounded loud in my ear and my heartbeat pounded with a single-minded focus to destroy him and everything he owned.

Instead, I took a deep breath to calm myself and clamped my teeth shut. "Leo," I called out and ground my teeth into a smile. "How do you know I was returning today? I wanted it to be a surprise."

"Welcome back, Alpha. You didn't think you could escape me that easily, did you? I must say, the timing of your return is impeccable. I came to deliver a package to someone and saw Hugo at the baggage claim. So, here I am!"

I laughed a little too hard. It was a hollow laughter, masking the hatred I felt for him. I couldn't wait to wipe him off the surface of the earth. My laughter ran out. Leo's laughter, on the other hand, came full and free.

I observed him, a thought passed through my mind - one of two things was happening here: Leo was either an airhead or he was a damn good actor, expertly hiding his true intentions behind a guise of friendliness.

"But seriously, D'Angelo, where did you disappear without even telling me?"

I could see the satisfaction gleaming in his gaze as if he enjoyed the discomfort he knew he was causing me. I had to keep myself tightly in check for this plan to become a success. I forced a smile, the muscles in my jaw tensing with the effort.

"Nowhere important, it was an emergency Alpha meeting with Alpha George. We had to discuss the effect of the recent war and how to prevent future conflicts."

Leo nodded and opened the car door for me." But couldn't you have just joined the meeting remotely? You did get shot recently, after all."

I shrugged. "It was one of those face-to-face meetings that required everyone's presence. And thanks for the ride but Hugo already called my chauffeur and he should be getting to me anytime now so..."

"He's here," Hugo announced and I tapped Leo's shoulder. "didn't you say you had something to deliver? I'll see you at home."

"Sure," he said and I waved my thanks to him. His mask was subtly slipping as his eyes kept trailing behind me, following my every move.

The car pulled over and Hugo opened the door for me. Once inside the car, Hugo put on his monitoring device and I checked my watch for the hundredth time. It was almost four pm.

"Leo is a hardened criminal," Hugo sneered. "He thinks he can win everyone over to me and has tried several times to damage your reputation and win me over to his camp, but I am not easily fooled."

Hugo looked straight ahead, a look of disdain crossing his face as the wheels screeched. "I hope this plan of yours can be faster so that we can get this over with. I hate delays."

"Trust me, we won't waste much more time than we need to. Just hold onto your patience until I give you the signal to act. For now, keep an eye on him."

We were about to drive fast to Alexis's family mansion when I instructed the chauffeur to head to Alexis's. Hugo followed suit and we both walked through the front door and straight to the living room, where Jones was waiting for us.

The moment the door closed behind us, he stood and faced me, the smirk still plastered across his lips. I didn't return his smile, instead, I crossed my arms.

"My son-in-law, it's a pleasure to see-"

"I've come to warn you and your daughters to either be for me or against me. They've been harassing my mate and the consequences of such are severe. Now either you are for me or against me."

Jones broke into a scuffing laughter while the deep lines of his face crinkled in amusement.

"You're kidding, right? What kind of joke are you playing? My daughter is the mother of your unborn child. How dare you treat her like some piece of garbage.'

His voice was loud and clear enough for everyone in the house to hear.

"Unfortunately I'm as serious as ever. Your daughter Alexis has caused more harm than good to me. Talk to your children else I'd be forced to take necessary action against them."

His eyes darkened. "What are you into? That's a serious accusation, D' Angelo. You just walk into my house and begin to make unfounded accusations."

Impatience ate at me and I couldn't wait to leave. Jones was a greedy bastard and I was this close to punching his pie face.

"If anything happens to my mate, I'm holding you and your daughters accountable."

He remained silent, then his gaze twisted in disgust. "You should be ashamed of yourself, Alpha! Alexis is carrying your child, yet you're in love with another woman?"

"I never forced myself on Alexis. And I shouldn't be blamed for meeting the woman I truly love. Have I ever abandoned Alexis? No."

"Your actions have consequences," he continued yapping. "I promise you that you will regret what you are doing."

Alexis rushed downstairs, looking surprised to see me. When she heard her father's complaints, she glared at me.

"So you think you can just choose your Omega mate over me, Angelo? How dare you! I'm fit to be Luna, and you know it. I will never sit back and watch you replace me with an omega."

I couldn't help the laughter that escaped my lips. I laughed so hard that my stomach hurt. "Who's going to stop me? You? Don't underestimate my power as Alpha."

Alexis called me bluff. "You claim to be Alpha, but you don't even know what's happening in the pack. You-"

She zipped her mouth shut without realizing that I could tell she was on Leo's side. The fact that she was carrying my child yet plotting my downfall pissed me off so badly.

"I'm looking out for you because you're carrying my child. But if you betray me and side with the enemies, consider yourself dead."

Alexis and Jones gasped in shock, not expecting such a response from me. She took a step back, her eyes widening like saucers.

"What enemies? I don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Stop being unreasonable."

When she tried to touch me, I flinched. "Lastly, warn your bratty sister Carol, who's in Kira's class, that if she bullies her again, I'll personally expel her and make sure no school accepts her for her A levels. Be warned."

After speaking, I turned to leave with Alexis running after me and begging me to dump my omega mate. I ignored her and zoomed off. As if my problems weren't enough, the elders conspired to ruin the rest of my day.