~~Fifteen

D’Angelo

Even though it was still early in the morning, there were plenty of runners in the streets, laughing and chatting in groups. My packmates emerged from their homes dressed in running gear.

We found that running in the morning helped us stay in touch with nature, have fun, and control our werewolf instincts.

It was truly a beautiful sight, as the air was full of laughter, vitality, and life.

Packmates split up into their groups; males, females, and youths. I jogged out of the crowd, enjoying the solitude of running alone.

The wind was picking up and the sky was getting darker; a storm was coming. But that has never stopped us from running. We would even change into our wolf forms and sprint through the downpour.

I could feel the council members casting judgment and contempt on me. They thought I was stupid and saw my wish to include the omegas in the main pack as a betrayal of our customs.

My original motivation for doing these things was to protect Kira. Later on, though, I understood that the omegas were deserving of some kind of defense despite the hierarchy gap between us.

They should be treated with some decency and respect, not like slaves and misfits. My dad and previous alphas had never cared about them. He used to always caution me against making snap decisions when it came to rules.

"You get to enjoy this lovely governance because others have fought for it,” he said in one of our late-night talks. “Don’t mess with the harmony we have achieved here or make crazy decisions."

Dad had always been one of those people who thought feeding scraps to all omegas was the best thing we could do for them.

They were worthy of a spot inside the pack's limits, even though I did not care for them.

All my pack mates could do was sneer and complain and glare at me. That was the most they could do.

There was no question about challenging my authority; this was my pack, and I was in charge. I ran toward the pack clearing, but I stopped when I saw Grey breathing heavily.

"What is going on?" I raised a brow. "Why are you so out of breath?"

"Alpha,” he gulped, his hands on his waist. "I recently learned that the border guards and warriors went to the Omega camp and set it on fire last night,"

My blood froze and my stomach turned at the thought of losing Kira, fear clenching around me like iron fists.

"What the hell happened?"

Grey took a deep breath. "I don't have details yet, but the omegas were driven out.

There’s no way that this could be happening. I roared with rage. "How could they have possibly done that? Who gave them the order?"

"Not me," he raised his hands.

I was trying not to get angry so much that I had my fists balled up.

"Go, Grey, and find out who organized this chaos. I need names, motives, everything. I need Hugo, the chief warrior, sent to me immediately.

Grey raced off, and I struggled to control my wolf as rage flared up in my chest. It wanted to rip apart the warriors who dared to commit such an act.

They hadn't returned, so I had to go back to the mansion. They would pay for it for the rest of their lives if something happened to Kira.

Alexis was sitting next to me upstairs, loudly chewing on an apple. My frustration mounted, but I said nothing. Whether she chewed noisily or not did not matter; she was currently the least of my worries.

Leo, Grey, Zina, and Isabel returned from their run, chatting among themselves. Leo and his wife were stuck in the past and did not get why I wanted to include the omegas in the main pack.

"Leo, were you behind the fire at the omega camp?" I questioned him icily.

Leo paused his movements, looking surprised, and shrugged.

"What is my business with the omegas?" he scoffed. "I have never cared for them or held a place in my heart for them."

Faking concern and friendliness, Isabel spoke, "Alpha, you are becoming too soft. Don't let your emotions cloud your judgment and lead to a major mistake. When people begin to voice their complaints, you can be sure that things are getting worse."

Leo laughed and said, "Tell him, darling. I’ve tried to warn him that he is putting the order of the pack in danger and inviting chaos, but he will not listen.

Alexis scoffed, lifting her feet to the center table. "Don't you realize that if they enter the pack, they'll spread diseases and filth, infecting us with their vermin?"

Zina and I made eye contact, but she looked away, reluctant to express her opinions in public.

"I stand by my decision," I told them. “You can be angry until the end of time, but the omegas must live among us. So accept it and get used to it.”

I stood up and walked away, with Leo chasing after me.

"What do you want," I asked, my voice cold and hard.

"Seriously, D’Angelo, are you still going through with this? Are you opening the door for them because of that foolish girl?

I turned to look at him sternly. He looked up brazenly, meeting my gaze without batting an eyelid.

"You are mistaken if you think I will let you have anything with an omega. You must reject her and not bring disgrace upon yourself."

I cursed under my breath, forcing myself to calm down.

"You are right, babysitter. Let me tell you something, though, that you are unaware of. Even if I don't mate with her, it doesn't mean the omegas should be treated like dirt. I don't have to go the same route as my father or my ancestors. Do you understand me?"

"Fuck no, I don't, and I'm not supporting you."

"That's your business."

Grey came back and reported that the omegas had been located and were moving toward the mountains.

Never in my life have I felt so relieved.

"Bring everyone back!" I grabbed Grey's phone and yelled into it. "No one gets left behind. Attempt a head count. Consider yourselves dead if even one person goes missing.

Leo shook his head, acting as though I were a cockroach on my way to extinction.

My mood lifted, and Isabel helped her husband, Leo, assemble medical tents, masks, full body suits, gloves, antiviral drugs, and disinfectants.

"I asked, 'What are these for?'"

"We must make sure they are thoroughly screened and disease-free. Unlike you, some of us have small children who are susceptible to illness."

"Do as you wish," I yawned.

Isabel sat beside her husband. "Alpha, your actions have greatly angered the Woman's Guild. Some are sorry they picked you as the leader."

"Blah, blah, blah. I'm not in the mood for gossip. They can deal with their regrets. All I know is that the omegas must live with us.”