~~Ten~~

Kira

My nostrils were attacked by the overpowering smell of dog piss. To start the messy work, I pulled on my apron and gloves. Then I got a roll of paper towels, covered a few damp areas with them, and broom-swept them all before I started cleaning with the enzyme cleaner spray.

This was my life every other morning. It was hard work, but I didn't mind. I'd rather take care of the dogs than spend all day on the farm with Amari or in the pack warehouse where Zion worked.

The presence of dogs brought me comfort. They would always wag their tails and lick my palms when they saw me.

Fortunately, the omegas had managed to move on and nobody had recalled the previous week's incident. And my punishment was over.

I yawned as I started to feel hungry. My last meal was just two slices of bread and a glass of water, and it had been more than twenty-four hours.

Times like these got me thinking about what my life might have been like if I had not been an omega. If I had been a beta or even gamma, I might have been the luckiest person alive.

It was too much to wish to be alpha. I would have been marked as Alpha D'Angelo if I had not been Omega.

He saw me as filthy, and I had to avoid him for my good. I scolded myself for my silly thoughts and misplaced emotions.

The sound of heels approaching me reached my ears as I rinsed and wrung out the mop in the bucket. Grinning, the gamma's wife came in.

She gestured for me to meet her at the front desk, and I became suspicious and afraid.

What did she want from me?

I washed my hands and then went over there. Before now, we'd hardly ever spoken at all. She had help and was constantly busy with the dogs.

"Kira, right?" She leaned forward and grinned at me. "How are you doing?"

Her smile and the friendliness in her voice gave me the creeps. I was honestly concerned about myself now.

I said in a trembling voice, "I'm fine, thank you."

"So, Kira, tell me about your experience working here."

"Um, it's nice. I like dogs; they're very sweet."

"I'm glad to hear that. By the way, you are working very hard and doing a good job."

Why the compliments?

"Thank you, I appreciate that."

She winked at me. "Relax, I'm not a cannibal. Well, I am, but I don't eat werewolf meat."

She stood up, closing the distance between us, and I froze. If she was truly the alpha's lover, then he had told her about us, and maybe she was going to kill me. My mom told me several stories about women killing their lovers' other mistresses.

Only in my case, I wasn't D'Angelo's mistress. But what came next took me by surprise.

She tugged at a strand of my hair and said softly, "You realize how beautiful you are? You have a pretty face, a badass figure, and such lovely features."

Awkward, awkward, awkward!

My mind began to buzz with warning signs, and I unconsciously retreated a step. "Thank you," I stuttered.

She handed a bag to me. "Here. It's for you."

I was so surprised when I opened it. I could not afford anything there; makeup kit, panties, hair straightener, new skincare products, perfumes, and very nice clothes.

"But why are you offering this to me?" I asked, confused.

She shrugged. "I decided to give away some items after organizing my closet and share  it with a hardworking employee rather than giving it away to those who aren't in need."

She was lying, and I could tell. It sent a shiver down my spine to know that she had a mission. Since she was aware of my secret, the alpha must undoubtedly be involved in this.

"You know what? Why not use the restroom to freshen up?"

Who was I to ever say no to a Gamma's wife? I would have taken offense if she'd suggested I had an odor if she had been an Omega.

"I had my hair washed yesterday."

"Come on," she beamed. "My intention is not to be spiteful; I'm just curious about how great your hair would look. You look like a doll come to life, especially with those golden locks."

I looked away, flushed.

"Please do this for me, okay? Don't forget to try on one of the outfits."

I looked down at my feet. "This feels strange to me."

"Oh no, you'd better get used to it. Unless you do something to disprove my feelings, once I fall in love, it is for life."

She kept persuading me, and I felt a loss of control. Feeling reassured by her warmth, I went to the bathroom, but I was still afraid that she was planning something.

I turned on the faucet, shampooed, and then rinsed my hair. I had no idea how to operate a fucking straightener. As I was brushing my hair, I felt a sudden surge of heat and read the instruction manual.

The body spray was a mix of citrus and lavender and was very pleasant. I nearly didn't recognize myself in the mirror after switching to a basic white t-shirt and black leather pants.

That was a pleasant change, but at what price?

When I walked out, Zina clapped, saying, "Look how beautiful you are."

When I saw one of the Omega boys refilling the water bowls and stealing glances at me, I became very uncomfortable. Zina was there, so the boy quickly looked away.

"Thank you for everything," I managed to say. "Why are you doing this, though?"

She winked suggestively at me and shrugged. "You have a lot of potential, Kira. If you made the effort, you could be so much happier.

I stammered, "I... I don't understand."

"You understand what I mean," she said in a hushed voice. "I am speaking of the alpha."

My heart skipped a thousand beats and I experienced a rush of fear even though I was expecting it.

"You know about-"

"Yes, honey.  D'Angelo is my best friend. Your secret is safe with me."

That explained the closeness between them. I was a complete moron for implying that for a love affair.

"He told me about the mating bond. And I assured him that I would support him."

"You are his accomplice, then," I blurted and regretted my words instantly.

Zina laughed, "Well, kind of, but I would like to use the word confidant.  The Alpha is in agony, and this secret is between him and his closest friends."

We were silent for a moment and I stared at my feet. "The alpha doesn't want me." "He isn't required to claim me."

"You're too lovely to sound resentful, darling," she nudged me. "Despite his current state of bewilderment, the alpha does, deep down, want you. But a lot is at risk, especially concerning the difference in ranks. But I managed to persuade him to speak with you."

"Huh?"

"He's waiting outside," she smiled and pointed outside the glass door. "We don't keep the alpha waiting; that's an unwritten rule. Now go to him immediately."

My heart was racing, and I had no control over it. Why was this even happening? I turned around. The alpha was standing next to his car, looking very uneasy.