Twelve

Kira

I looked at the Alpha in silence, shocked that his hand was on mine. Rather than behaving under conscious control, he seemed to be acting purely on impulse.

I'd witnessed omega males in heat groping onto females in that manner. They were extremely aggressive and bright-eyed and would become sexually insane and attempt to mate with any female in sight.

We women did not find it funny. We would have to hide inside our tents because we were weaker and vulnerable to painful attacks, ravaging, or, in the worst-case scenario, rape.

A lot of our fathers went rogue, so it was a common occurrence. It could happen anytime, anywhere, and no one cared. That's why finding our fated partners was a huge relief.

Unfortunately, I wasn't among those lucky enough to find a mate who returned my feelings.

No matter how long and hard D'Angelo was looking at me, how close he was leaning in until I could smell his arousal, he would never accept me.

He had a rich smell that left me feeling lightheaded. I craved the sensation of his large, soft, callused, long fingers caressing my face in gentle, compassionate strokes, despite the discomfort and awkwardness between us.

My pulse pounded with a sexy throbbing, and my body heated up to a fever. Though I knew that this would not end well, I also felt a strong desire to touch him.

He kept drawing nearer to me. His hands reached out, drawing me closer to him. Despite the cool breeze, my pheromones leaked from my sweat glands.

The alpha's hot breath was on my neck. I couldn't focus on anything but the need to satiate my cravings.

His eyes glowed with an inner fire as he whispered, "Kira."

I felt incredibly uneasy as warning alarms went off in my head. I flinched back and quickly got out of the car and bolted like a ninja on a mission. My skin got slippery and sweaty and my heart was pounding.

I fled for my life.

Footsteps pounded behind and I turned to see the alpha running in my direction.

His pursuit was unsettling, and my body tensed up. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. It sent my heart racing with a tinge of fear.

He was not far behind and his scent lingered in the air. And then all of a sudden he was right behind me.

If the alpha were someone else, I would be afraid he would attack me. I knew in my heart, though, that my mate would never harm me. He was just as confused about the bond as I was.

My breath came in short, sharp gasps as the wind played with my cheeks and hair. Hurriedly, I ran over the crunch of leaves, and the rush of adrenaline made me acutely aware of the mating bond.

I was so out of breath when his powerful arms wrapped around my waist and I let out a cry.

In a flash, he spun me around. My legs gave way beneath me. Most girls my age refer to my emotional state as "buzz."

It was such blissful buzzing. D'Angelo's dark hair framed his handsome, chiseled features, and his hazel eyes blazed with an intensity I had never seen in them before.

Suddenly, everything seemed perfect. I wondered if I should just act like a horny little fool and ask for a kiss.

My mouth hung half open. I couldn't hear the sound of construction anymore. I experienced only a tingling sensation inside as if every square inch of my skin were alive.

Breathing was difficult because my body was responding to his presence in such a powerful way. I had to act on this strong impulse because it was too strong to resist.

My heart pounded hard in my chest as my breathing returned to a regular, steady pace, and I felt powerless in his face as I looked up at him.

"Please let me go," I begged, my voice trembling. I tripped and fell, dragging him down with me as I struggled to break free of his hold.

Instead of getting up, he pinned me to the ground, a strange look in his gaze. I was afraid when my wide eyes met his.

My body was trapped by his weight pressing against mine. I wasn't getting enough oxygen. I wondered if he was as desperate to kiss me as I was.

But his grip loosened, and when he pulled away, I felt the coldness of the ground against my back in contrast to the warmth of his touch.

"Please let me go. I don’t know what else you want from me," I spoke carelessly before realizing what I had just said.

"You're my mate. We are irresistibly drawn to each other. It is beyond our control."

I shook my head and got on my feet, growing more confident and looking him in the eye. "You can't do this to yourself, Alpha. This craziness has to stop. At the very least, nothing good can occur between us."

He grew stern and raw in his voice, saying, "Do not command me, omega. Stop acting like you are immune to this. Your desire is so powerful that I can smell it.”

His words caused my cheeks to burn and my breath to catch. I cleared the thickness in my throat and held myself rigidly tall and upright.

"Well, that might be the case, but don't worry about it.  I will look after myself and prove to you that I can survive without you. You never have to see me again."

He crossed his arms and scoffed. "I am opening the border gates. I plan to let the omegas in and let them live with the rest of the pack."

I jerked in shock, my mouth hanging open. "You have to be kidding."

"I'm as serious as you can ever imagine.”

"Are you insane?"

My hand shot to my mouth as soon as I realized what I had just said. "I'm sorry, I'm just... shocked by what you said. You can't let us in. Do you know what that means?"

With a raised eyebrow, he looked at me. "And what could it possibly mean?"

How about the other members of the pack? Have you thought about how they might respond? How risky this is? Are you doing this for me, because you don't have to."

"No," with a sarcastic chuckle. "I'm doing this because I am Alpha because I have the power and can do as I please."

I shook my head, "You can't. It's not... You can't be serious. Are you trying to alter a century-old tradition?”