Fifty-Three

Kira

D'Angelo stood outside my door, grinning, waiting for me to open it. My heart gave me a stupid thump. I stared wordlessly, wondering what he was doing here.

“Won't you let me in?” He asked with a half-cocked smile, aware of the strong effect he had on me.

When my mouth spread into a grim line and my arms crossed over my chest, the smile on his face collapsed and was replaced with worry.

I moved to make room for him. After all, the house was his. Sending an owner off his property would be a dumb move on my part.

"Why are you here?"

The question came out sharper than I intended, but I couldn't help it. "Shouldn't you be at the festival, leading the celebrations instead of lurking in an Omega's room?"

D'Angelo looked genuinely stunned by my harsh greeting, he had a strange look in his gaze and contemplated what response to give.

"What is up with your harsh tone? Did something happen?”

A soft curse fell from my mouth and my eyes clawed him like talons. “Nothing's wrong. It's just strange that you're here while you should be with the higher-ranked packmates, celebrating the harvest.”

I could tell he was struggling to hide his confusion. His lashes, which were absurdly long for a man, fluttered closed before he fixed his steady gaze on me.

“Your mom said you weren't feeling well. When I called, you did not pick up. Is this attitude motivated by anything?”

Trying to maintain my composure was a battle I was quickly losing. He could see right through me. Suddenly, a surge of intense sadness erupted in my chest, causing me to choke back on tears.

His look changed from irritation to shock, and he drew me into a tight embrace without pausing for a second.

The mating scent mixed with his expensive cologne flooded my nose and I lost track of my breathing altogether. When he pulled away, I found myself leaning towards him in a futile attempt to recapture that sweet scent

“Did someone hurt you? What happened? Talk to me."

I pushed back slightly so I could look at him and catch him in his lies. "Why would you tell Caleb not to talk to me because I'm an Omega?"

Like a fish struggling to breathe, he opened and closed his mouth then did the unexpected. My statement amused him, he threw back his head and laughed heartily, for reasons only he knows.

I felt foolish as the pure, unrestrained laugh erupted from his throat. I was boiling with rage and on the verge of losing it.

"May I have an explanation for why you think this is funny?"

His amusement increased tenfold.

"Stop laughing!" I yelled, pulling away from him. "Do you know how insulting that is?"

"Oh, Kira, Kira, Kira. I'm sorry, darling. I truly am. I didn't mean to upset you. I only said that to Caleb who is interested in you to scare him off. I can't stand the thought of you with anyone else. You are loved, valued, and cherished.”

I sat on the edge of the bed and tried to process his words. They seemed annoyingly convincing. The room grew silent as he watched me.

"That was a very hurtful thing to say, D'Angelo. You can't just throw words like that around. It's sensitive."

When he wrapped his arms around my midriff and breathed hot in my ear, I shivered.

"I know, and I promise, I'll never say anything like that again. I was wrong.”