Sixty-Four

Zina

I ran out of that room on autopilot.

My husband's death felt like a cruel, twisted joke, and the sight of his lifeless body filled me with terror. I refused to let my final memories of him be tainted by his corpse.

I wanted to remember my Grey as alive, healthy, and laughing, not lying cold, bloodied, and pale. To hold my mentally distressed self together, I gasped for air because my breathing had gone shallow. I couldn't remember the last time I felt like this.

Even though I was not a prayerful person, I prayed to the goddess for a miracle.

"I'll give up whatever I need for this to be a bad joke. My mate cannot die," I pleaded internally. "If he passes away, what am I living for?"

I then raised my head to the heavens wondering why I always suffered the worst-case scenarios.

Trying to console me, Leo rushed behind me and placed a hand on my back.

“Why must I suffer? What actions of mine have earned me this constant humiliation and pain? First, my dad died, then I was childless for five years, and now this?”

Leo whispered his condolences in a soothing tone, but I pulled away from him and glared at him.  He looked away, snapping his mouth shut.

Life felt so unfair. If my husband didn’t think about our unborn child's life or mine before he foolishly gave his life for D'angelo, that was unfair!

My hand instinctively went to my stomach and I leaned against the wall, trying to sort through my thoughts.

Why did Grey feel the need to become a martyr? Why did he think that if D’Angelo had taken the poisoned dagger alone, he wouldn’t have survived? D'angelo had alpha blood, after all.

Was Grey ass-licking D’Angelo in an attempt to gain attention or a promotion?

I have never been a grumpy or spiteful person, but at that moment there was nothing to be joyful about.

I went from a happy vet doctor who collected stray dogs and fucked my husband every night with every style on our werewolf karma sutra magazines to a young, pregnant widow who was battling feelings of hurt, resentment, and betrayal.

I longed to lash out at someone because I was furious, first at Grey for being so stupid to die for someone else and then at D’Angelo for not intervening quickly.

The more I thought about it, the more resentment I felt. I was going to be the only parent to my unborn child and raise them without Grey in our lives. Grey was proud that I became pregnant, and I knew how much he yearned for this baby. Just thinking about it made me even more enraged.

This was a bitter pill to swallow. Leo sighed heavily, his mouth twisted grimly.

"Grey made a big mistake," he said, his eyes becoming serious and his voice detached.

When he started talking, I said nothing, keeping my whole focus on him. He turned to face me slowly, a serious expression on his face.

"I'm just trying to voice my support," he said, sounding sincere. “We've not always agreed and D’Angelo is both your friend and your former lover, but I tell you for free that this is the most genuine advice you will ever receive. Grey didn't deserve to die.”

I couldn't find the right words to describe the roller coaster confusion I was experiencing, so I kept quiet and gulped hard, trying to suppress the emotions threatening to overwhelm me.

A hot tear escaped, tracing a path down my cheek when Leo continued whispering. "Grey was never forced to take that dagger for the alpha. I've always cautioned him against being overly loyal to others and risking his own life for them. It's foolishness and now that he's dead, there is nothing anyone can do. D'Angelo is also struggling to survive."