Sixty-Five

Kira

When I found out D'Angelo was still alive, I felt a wave of relief and joy wash over me. Words could not express the intensity of such a powerful emotion. My heart burst into a fever of excitement, pounding against my chest like a drum.

Before Zina came, I was already grieving D'Angelo's loss and in a deep, painful sorrow. My mother tried to cheer me up by pointing out that the announcement was unofficial. But something was wrong, judging by the warriors' expressions when they emerged from the van.

Excitement replaced all of my sadness after learning of Zina's news. I could breathe again because of how light my chest felt.

My mate survived!

Zina was driving us to the clinic. We drove out of the estate into the commercial part of town. Soldiers returning home and families getting back together made the pack rowdy.

I noticed that Zina was holding herself rigidly as if someone had cut open a recently healed wound in her heart. Her lips were pinched tight, and she said nothing to me, which was very unusual for her. Her lively energy seemed distant, and the silence was heavy and oppressive.

"Zina, you seem shaken up. Is everything okay?"

She sighed deeply, and my stomach dropped.

Something was wrong.

She dismissed my question with a raspy, "I'm okay. It's probably fatigue and stress."

I didn't believe her. Everyone was supposed to be happy tonight. She was hiding something.

"Have you seen Grey? Is he with D'Angelo?"

Her face went awash in emotions the instant I said those words as if she were experiencing inner torment. Her hands were gripping the steering wheel, and I noticed that.

She then delivered devastating news to me.

"He's dead."

I fell silent, stunned into total shock at what she said. My mind went blank and I was unable to form any words. Then, the shock caused me to have severe chest pain.

How could Grey be dead? Why?

"The... He... Why..."

I began speaking in fragments.

Zina gave me a sidelong glance but remained silent. Then she choked out and fixed her gaze on the road. I covered my mouth with my hand to keep from screaming.

"He's gone like the wind. Poof,” she uttered with a weak attempt at humor, mimicking Grey’s action with her thumb and forefinger. “Out of all the males who went to war, he didn't make it back."

My body temperature dropped suddenly, and though I tried to process this information, I was unable to.

I so badly wanted a relationship like Zina's with Grey. Zina has expressed her hurt at not having children and has cried on occasion, but I have never witnessed her display such devastation and sorrow.

She drove in silence until we arrived at the clinic, at which point I hurried to relieve myself of my full bladder and hurried back to her. I broke down in tears when I saw her leaning against her car and gazing into space.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Zina," I managed to say between sobs, and my heart ached for this wonderful woman who didn't deserve this kind of sorrow.

Placing her hand on my back, she guided me to a medical room populated by doctors in white coats. As soon as we stepped inside, the quiet chattering stopped and everyone turned to stare at me.