Seventy-Six

Alexis

I walked past Isabel's spa's cozy reception area, which served as the pack's wellness center, offering massages, facials, and acupuncture services with utmost professionalism. 

I felt some people's stares as I passed by. The bastards were already giving me pity stares and clenched half-smiles. The rumors that D'angelo had replaced me with his omega mate spread like wildfire.

Everyone was talking about how unfortunate the tragedy was, and I didn't blame anyone who felt the need to offer clichéd platitudes or comfort to me because being replaced by an omega was a slap in the face.

At least they didn't make fun of me. Their concern was genuine, but no one enjoys being pitied, especially not me. I didn't need it, and it would only heighten my rage and resentment.

My heart was still hurting from what my aunt told me: "You're lucky to be carrying the alpha's baby. Nobody can take away the fact that you're his child's mother. The honor of being the first woman to bear his children is yours, and everyone in the women's guild is completely behind you."

She said all of this as if telling me would magically heal all of my inner pain. Her words of comfort cut deeper than a knife into my skin.

I wished to be more than a baby factory.

I waited in a corner for Isabel to finish with her client. When she emerged from the inner room, she greeted me with a hug. She always hugged me tightly, and because she was chubby, it felt good and comforting. When our gazes met, her eyes glinted with evil. I wasn't perfect, but I was a saint in comparison to Leo and his wife.

She ushered me into a private room and shut the door. The smell of the incense and herbal aromas made me sick. I looked around the empty room and asked, "Where is your husband?"

Isabel lowered her voice and remained deliberately mysterious. She didn't notice my discomfort, and I hoped I wouldn't stay long enough for bile to bubble up in my throat.

"He should be here anytime soon," she said. "Why don't I give you a massage while we wait? You know what a good massage can do."

"Thanks," I said with a yawn, removing my shoes and letting my feet breathe on the plush carpet. "This pregnancy is making me very cranky and tired. I can't wait for the nine months to be over so I can get my body back."

"It must be hormones. "You will get over it, sweetie," she said as she sat down in front of me and began rubbing my feet. Her fingers rubbing against my toes almost hypnotized me. My muscles relaxed, and my thoughts drifted away.

"Has he contacted or checked on you?" She asked, referring to D'angelo.  I nodded, too miserable to speak, but Isabel waited for me to do so.

"Yes, he called me after the meeting on Friday to see how the baby was doing.

A sigh escaped from between my closed lips. "I just wish I didn't have to force myself on him and keep hoping that getting pregnant will make him fall in love with me. See where that got me. "I've become used goods to him."

When her hand stopped massaging, I opened my eyes. Isabel's lips were pinched together like a closed zipper. "Never refer to yourself like that. D'Angelo is the foolish one in this case for marking an omega. Do you realize how disgraceful it is and what the consequences will be? And what a shame it would be for the entire pack if we had an Omega Luna. It is a huge insult to all of us. D'angelo shouldn't dare such an action; otherwise, there will be war in the pack and he will be dethroned."

My mouth dropped open. Her voice was so venomous. Even though the threat sounded ridiculous, what D'angelo was doing was insane.

"I don't believe he is doing it on purpose; otherwise, he would have marked the girl the moment he learned of her existence," I reasoned.