Eighty-Six

Kira

Tensions were running high at the Omega buildings due to the recent threats, vandalisms, and unrest committed upon us by the higher werewolves.

I didn't need anyone to tell me that I was the target of all of their actions. Scared as hell, I wanted this to be over because no matter the protection D'Angelo was assuring me, he couldn't be with me all the time.

Now that he'd had made it clear to the public that he knew Leo was an enemy, Leo and his men were in hiding.

From upstairs, I watched a nervous Omega woman glancing over her shoulder as she ran into the first building, and my eyes scanned the area to know why she was running.

"Lock the doors," Eldar Logan yelled from downstairs. With horror, I watched some young delta wolves rush into the Omega space and used spray cans filled with paint, ruining our walls with cruel words and obscenities. They even wished us death.

The scene played inside my head like a nightmare. Their actions triggered a wave of panic among the rest of us especially when they began shattering windows downstairs and vandalizing the whole place.

"Open the damn door!” they yelled, banging on the doors. It was so bad that my breath became raspy, and I squeezed my eyes shut.

Our saving grace was when the bodyguards assigned to me returned with help and chased them away with whips and batons.

They were strong and powerful, but the situation was quickly stabilizing and everyone's nerves were calm again. My mom led me inside, trying her best to distract me.

When she was downstairs, I turned on the TV and my gaze was fixed on the screen, intent as I listened to the news. The broadcaster was discussing the recent controversy surrounding D'Angelo.

"The pack is now divided over the alpha's recent behaviour. He's fallen in love with an Omega, a forbidden abomination that has never happened before. People cannot help but voice their disgust and raise a voice to stop this menace before the Omegas take over the pack."

My hands clenched into fists as I listened to the idiot reporter's words. He continued by saying that some people were uncomfortable with the outcome and would rather not have an alpha than a weak one. He claimed that this had led to a divide in the pack between D'Angelo's hardcore supporters who saw nothing wrong in what he was doing and those who were against him.

My heart sank with grief. It was crazy how easily manipulated these pack members were. I couldn't help but commend Leo for his smooth manipulation. His pack mates were mere pawns in his game, and he was skillfully using them to his advantage.

One of the correspondents handed the mic over to a woman who looked like an overstuffed chicken, asking how she felt about D'Angelo.

"Honestly, I'm disappointed. The alpha's behavior is damaging the reputation of the pack, and now the Omegas have an upper hand. Their boys are going about molesting our girls, and soon the pack will be contaminated with Omega blood."

Anger surged through my veins. These fools knew that the news station was connected to all the packs in the south, and that such news wasn't good for D'Angelo's reputation. My fingers trembled as I dialed his number for the umpteenth time, but it went straight to voicemail.

He was extremely busy with the warriors and his supporters, preparing to finally destroy Leo. The reporter approached another person on the street, this one a male, who insisted that D'Angelo should step down because his behavior was causing problems for the pack.

"What the hell," I swore inwardly. This was so unfair, and they were turning D'Angelo and making him seem like the villain.

"He has made the pack a laughingstock," the man insisted, his voice hardening dangerously, "and he must be impeached."

Before my mom turned off the TV, another man who defended D'Angelo, saying that he had done nothing wrong and that he still had people who loved him and would support him no matter what.

"I was listening to that," I groaned at my mom, who turned off the TV and hid the remote.

"You shouldn't fill your head with negative stuff."

"Mom, this is so bad," I lamented, "the people don't even trust him, and everything is happening all because of me."

"Nonsense, honey," she said, drawing me closer for a hug. Every part of my body felt so heavy that I was certain I'd fall sick.

I sighed deeply, unable to find the energy to speak. My mom's warm lips brushed softly against my hair, before she spoke. "Everything is going to be alright, you just need to get some sleep and stop overthinking.”

"I need some air. I've been stuck in this place for days. I feel like my brain is about to explode."

"D'Angelo won't be happy to hear you stepped outside," she reminded me, but I refused to listen.

My legs felt heavy as I headed out to the room, adjusting to the bright lights of the hallway. When I reached the top of the stairs, I noticed that downstairs was crowded with hundreds of Omegas gathered in the lobby.

I didn't think I could handle anymore surprises today. If they were here to mock me…

"What's going on?" I whispered to my mom as I took in the sea of faces below me. "Are they here to spite me?"

My mom placed a gentle hand on my shoulder while I tried to read their expressions.

"They're not angry; they're all afraid. And because this building is heavily guarded, they decided to come here."

My mouth went dry, and my eyes grew hot as I turned away and headed back to my room.