TWENTY-EIGHT

Kira

Zion's piercing gaze made me feel like I was about to meet my ancestors in the grave. But, his threats of informing other omegas about my relationship with

D'Angelo did not intimidate me. Although the thought of being ridiculed by others was unsettling, I couldn't imagine what could go wrong.

As expected, they'd sarcastically insult and taunt me for months until they grew tired of the topic.

"You're ending our relationship just so you can be with the alpha?"Zion sneered.

I shook my head. "No, Zion, it's not just about the alpha. I wish to find someone who will treat me with respect and won't expose my flaws to the world immediately when they get the chance. You've proven time and time again that you're a selfish and cruel piece of scat."

"It's because I care!"He shouted back. "What would you have done if the roles were reversed?"

"Well, for starters, I wouldn't have abandoned your drunk ass at the Alpha's terrace to bear the consequences of your actions , nor would I have rubbed the harsh truth in your mother's face,"I replied calmly. "You fucking betrayed my trust by stealing my secret to take all of the credit for yourself. And bragging to me about D'Angelo's fiancée expecting a child only shows how little you care about my feelings. Did you expect that I'd be happy to hear that my mate had someone else in his life?"
"I didn't think it was a big deal,"he snapped.
"Here we go again,"I muttered under my breath.
"You should be grateful that I told your mother the truth; it was the right thing to do,"he argued. "Why are you making me out to be the bad guy? You must be bonkers to think the alpha gives a fuck about you."

"This isn't about the Alpha, Zion. It's about finding someone who treats me with kindness and respect - a virtue that you clearly lack."
If my mother hadn't been in the kitchen, Zion might have lost his temper and physically attacked me.
"Kira, we had something beautiful,"he said through gritted teeth. "And now you're throwing it all away for someone who doesn't even want you?"
My mother intervened before things escalated any further: "That is enough, Zion. Let us end this argument before things get worse. If not, then I'll have no choice but to inform the Alpha of your foolishness."
Zion was taken aback by this threat as he gave me one last unfriendly glare before storming out of the kitchen.
"I pity both of you,"he spat as he slammed the door shut.
My mom let out a deep sigh as we both fell into a comfortable silence. Oil sizzled in the pan as she dropped eggs into the hot grease.

"Let's finish making breakfast so we don't waste any more time.I don't want people calling me a sloth."

The enticing aroma of the food wafted through the air, with the garlic mingling with the tangy tomato sauce. Mom was a wonderful cook; and her skills kitchen were widely acknowledged by the omegas.

Unfortunately, I did not inherit that trait from her.

After clearing away the dishes, my mom told me to take a seat on one of the stools.

"Honey, we need to be careful. You know how brutal our community can be when it comes to gossiping. And if they find out that your partner is an alpha, things could turn ugly."

I remained silent, fully aware of how malicious some omegas could be. Despite our poverty, many of them had terrible personalities.
"Moreover,"she continued, "the alpha's fiancée is pregnant with his child. If she discovers your relationship with him, she could hurt you."

I fidgeted nervously, wondering what the woman looked like. What sort of woman could make D'Angelo refuse to mark me. She she must be a goddess with good looks, skills, and talents.

"I hope you're not being overly critical of yourself," my mom read my mind. "Setting unreal expectations that you can't meet up with is one way to become depressed. Get your head out of the clouds.