TWENTY-SIX

D'Angelo

After the tribe meeting, I needed to prove a point to Javier and racked my brain on what to do to make my pack a hundred steps ahead of his.

I needed to come up with an idea that would keep me at the top because no alpha wanted to be second best-at least not me.

Without a doubt, Javier was an excellent leader. But he seemed to be greedy, like the incident where ten million Dahams (our tribe currency) went missing and he accused his wolf of swallowing the bundles of cash.

Of course, no one believed him.

I wasn't going to let him win. I might be taking things too far, but I needed to prove a point, to show him that I was the best. If my pack led by more than 100 points, it might all have been worthwhile.

All I needed was an idea. I then pulled out my scrapbook, which was usually kept hidden in a drawer, and started writing down various concepts I would be attempting to combine. My mind tends to work faster when I write down stuff about the pack's strengths and weaknesses. That way I know there are solutions I can come up with.

When I became aware of the allowances and revenue allocations that came from natural resources-particularly gold and other precious stones, a thought struck me.

Then I called the auditors and financial advisors of the pack to discuss the benefits of redirecting half of the funds.

Because I didn't see any reason why the real owners of the land still capitalized on us by expecting a specified amount each month. I was alpha, after all, and I had every right to seize their lands if they refused to cooperate.

Jones, Alexis's dad, owned copper, gold and quartz mines. My dad owned coal, iron, and multiple gold mines. So, even if I decided to remove the revenue, it would affect me, but I didn't mind.

I decided to bring it up with Leo, my beta. We were in the man cave in my mansion, preparing to play video games, a weekly ritual I had with him, Grey, and other interested persons.

Leo's eyes widened in shock when I told him. "There is no logic to this. People are going to grumble. That is a very bold step, Alpha. What could possibly motivate you to take such action?"

"Hear me out." I sat up, wondering why he was overreacting. "We can use that money to improve other infrastructure in the pack by eliminating the unnecessary revenue allocation. I have to outgun Javier's pack and give him a lot more reasons to despise me."

"Come on, are you saying you're not going to pay back the real owners of the land? It could lead to war."

"Of course, I would, but they're taking a fat sum of the earnings. Also, I'd like to see them attempt to challenge me." I smirked. "Most of the upper class just pile money in their accounts, money that may not even be exhausted by their third or fourth generation."

"I'm not in support," Leo shook his head. "You need to find a middle ground."

Feeling supremely confident, I gave Leo a dismissive wave, believing that I was doing the right thing.

My eyes stung from the haze of his cigar smoke which was slowly permeating the man cave. He was always smoking and needed some nicotine fix.

"I think you should reconsider," he said as I got up from the couch. "The pack would be safer if they continue getting a cut. If you scrap this, they'll never trust you again. Please allow me to state this: You do not need to be jealous of Javier. Everyone knows he can only try."

"I'm not jealous," I glared at him, feeling insulted, and knocked his cigar off his mouth. Leo gasped but didn't dare complain.

"I'm just being frank with you," he laughed to cover up his irritation. "Think about it. Why is it important to you to outperform him?"