Fifty-Nine

D'angelo

In the quiet of my study, I had a strong craving to see Kira. She'd deliberately switched off her phone and unfortunately, the omegas weren't blessed with the mind-link

I hadn't spoken to her since our last fight, and I missed her terribly, more than I thought possible.

On impulse, I picked up my phone and dialed her number, only to be greeted by the impersonal tone indicating it was switched off.

Unable to bear it, I decided to head to the omega duplex. It was night, and the air was cool against my skin. I saw some omega elders outside, enjoying their cigars under the moonlight. They stood as they saw me, a sign of respect, and I offered them a brief wave as I passed.

Upon arriving, I saw a chubby woman nearby and beckoned her over, trying to keep my impatience in check as she approached with exaggerated excitement.

"Good evening, Alpha! May the goddess be kind to you."

"Thanks. Could you please call Kira for me?"

Her face dropped, a flash of jealousy unmistakable in her eyes.

"I'm not sure Kira is home," she began. "I'm not surprised about that though. All she knows is to sneak out, corrupt other girls and-"

Her derogatory remarks didn't sit right with me and I cut her off. "I didn't ask for her schedule or your opinion on her character," I said, my irritation slipping through despite my efforts to suppress it. "Please, just go call her. That's all I'm asking for."

She bowed. "I'll go check if she's in her apartment. I'll be right back."

My gaze fixed on the door through which I expected Kira to step out. To my surprise, it was her mom, Imani, who stepped out instead. She bowed respectfully and I returned the gesture with a nod.

"I want to thank you for what you did to help Zina conceive. It was a great kindness."

Imani bowed humbly. "Oh, it wasn't me, Alpha. I was merely a vessel, a tool used to bring happiness into her life. She deserves all the best," she replied, deflecting the praise

An awkward silence followed her words. My eyes scanned the surroundings, but there was no sign of Kira.

"I'm certain Kira must have told you about what happened between us?"

To my surprise, Imani shook her head. "Kira hardly tells me anything these days, which is quite common among young ladies her age. What can I do?"

Fuck, I was relieved. The thought of having our problems with Kira's mom was something I found exceedingly embarrassing.

"Is she around?"

Imani hesitated before answering. "She is, but she's been feeling under the weather. She's uh... going through her first heat cycle."

My intake of breath was audible and I gasped. "Is it very intense? Do I need to take her to the clinic?"

Imani's smile was a sad one. "She had to shift into her wolf form and run in the hills, but she's feeling a bit better now. Unfortunately, she's not in a state to come downstairs,"

"Then I'm going upstairs to see her," I said without hesitation.

Imani's reaction was one of shock, and I could tell she was about to object, likely thinking of how it would look to others, but I didn't care about that. I owned this place and anyone who had objections could kiss my ass goodbye.

"Alpha, I-" Imani started, but I cut her off.

"I need to see her, make sure she's okay," I said and entered the omega duplex. They all bowed their heads in acknowledgment of my presence, and I returned the gesture with a nod.