Eighty-One

Kira

Ever since D'Angelo returned from the trip, I observed how bothered and detached he seemed. He was unusually quiet, his gaze wandered, and he was always lost in thought; even his sleeping habits were influenced by his deeply troubled heart.

Sex was amazing though, and it seemed like our only way of bonding. We did it everywhere: under the sheets, in the bathroom, outside under the stars, in the kitchen, and in his car.

But he was drifting away from me, and I had to know why. The first time I asked about it, he gave me a noncommittal shrug.

We lay shoulder to shoulder on the plush couch in the living room, our bodies sinking into the cushions. I focused my attention on theo
crackling fireplace, watching the dancing flames. D'Angelo's body language spoke volumes: his shoulders hunched forward, showing how tense he was, and his gaze remained fixed on the ceiling, lost in thought.

"Something is wrong, D'Angelo. You've been unusually quiet lately. I get that you're worried by this new development but what exactly is bothering you?”

He raised his head, blinking as if he was seeing me for the first time and wiping away his previously remote gaze.

“Huh? "Of course not, darling," he said, leaning forward and placing an arm around my waist. "I can assure you that nothing is wrong."

I snuggled against him, burying my face in his chest. "Don't lie to me. I can see it in your eyes. You've been acting so withdrawn. Is this about your visit to Alexis?"

He scoffed, cutting through the air, and his eyes rolled dramatically, "Hell no. I've got bigger fish to fry.”

"Then tell me," I demanded, intertwining my fingers with his."You're hiding something. Talk to me.”

His fingers nervously tapped the armrest of the chair, and he paused before speaking. "I'm not too keen on discussing this, but they called me for a meeting," he said, and I breathed a sigh of relief that he was finally opening up.

"The council of elders," he continued. For some strange reason, I knew where this conversation was going, but I remained silent while waiting for him to speak.

The elders were extremely important in the pack, with the titled ones being as important as the alpha himself. Because he was a young Alpha, D'Angelo held them in high regard. I knew this was a sensitive matter. They were most likely aware of our mating bond.

"Go on, I'm listening," I encouraged him, despite the fact that my heart was pounding like drums.

"It's nothing serious," he began, "but they hinted that they were uncomfortable with us being together. They said an alpha like me is not right for an Omega."

His hands tightened into fists, and his knuckles turned white. "They did nothing but yap and demand. They don't understand that you're the only one that keeps me sane, that I need you more than air.”

After speaking, his eyes darted around the room, avoiding my gaze, and I sighed.

"Are you going to pretend you weren't expecting this? "What else did they say?"

"They said it was ruining my reputation, and packmates were starting to talk."

"you're concerned that this will bring more people to Leo's side?" I asked softly. He sat up and faced me, looking at me with such tenderness that I couldn't help but melt.

"That's not a problem," he said quietly, pressing against me for a gentle kiss. His lips tasted slightly sugary with the sweet wine we had drank earlier.

“There will never be any doubt about my place as leader in the pack. I'm the pack's only living Alpha, so I'm not going to let some coffin dodgers dictate my actions or mate choice. I know that bastard, Leo, is behind this. He might have to do better."