Sixty-Six

D'angelo

My recovery process was agonizingly slow. I had never been sick in my life, but the doctors said the poison had reached some internal organs and it would take time for my wolf to recover.

They kept a close eye on everything, from my coughs full of mucus to my sleep patterns to the color of my urine to my shallow breathing.

The most annoying thing was that the strong medication caused me to constantly drift in and out of consciousness. My patience grew thin the longer I was imprisoned within these walls.

Apart from Kira, I had no desire to talk to anyone, especially the medical staff.

"My taste buds are fucking dead," I grumbled nasally when faced with consuming the bland hospital food. I stubbornly refused, even though Kira and the nurse tried to buy me off with applesauce, mushy veggies, chicken, and rice.

"You need proper nourishment, D'Angelo," Kira said softly. “If all you consume is orange juice, how can you hope to get better? Your body requires lots of nutrients to repair your ruined tissues."

I stuck my tongue out to her. “It's tasteless, I swear. Maybe  my appetite will return after I am released from this damn hospital."

She assisted me in sitting up, exchanging frustrated glances with the nurse as I requested the tray to be taken away.

"I need to leave this place, Kira," I mumbled into my hands, succumbing to a wave of drowsiness.

"Try to focus on your health. That's all that matters for now," she said, planting a kiss on my forehead. My body leaned into her shoulder and fingers tenderly stroked my hair.

"It's been two days... I desperately need a proper bath. I smell like capsules, and it's making me nauseous."

She smiled at me. "Promise me that once I arrange a change of clothes for you and you've had your bath, you'll eat solid food."

"I promise," I replied in a slurred monotone, feeling my eyes grow heavy with fatigue.

She smiled and helped me rest my head against the pillow.

"Do you think he will make it?"

Kira's smile disappeared. She looked down and gave her face a scratch. Why no one was interested in updating me on Grey's status was beyond me. I was told he was in the same hospital and expected Zina to come say hello.

Her silence was unusual and even when Leo stopped by earlier, he avoided the subject and gave me a generic response that Grey was responding to treatment. If he was fine, why was everybody uncomfortable about talking about him?

“Do you have your phone with you?” I asked Kira. “Tell Zina to come see me.”

She didn't reply; instead, she rose from the bed, her feet padding lightly against the tiled floor. "Or better still, I can go upstairs and send for her.”

I nodded and watched her leave.  I waited for a short while until the nurse arrived with a fresh set of sheets and assisted me in taking a proper bath.

Refreshed, I closed my eyes and reclined against my pillow.  It didn't take long for the soothing sensation to lull me into a state of deep slumber.

But I kept my eyes open and waited for Kira and Zina to return. I became impatient, mentally criticizing them for wasting my time.

Having nothing else to do, I turned on the TV. Every time I tried to switch it on the news, Kira would either unplug it or turn it off.

“You need to rest. You would get very agitated and want to leave the hospital to go take care of your responsibilities after watching the news, “she had said the day before. So we resorted to playing chess and Lego board games.