Seventy-Three

My mom and I sat on our private balcony. I had a lot to say to her as I watched a honeysuckle reach up for light. I couldn't always come home because I had to be by D'Angelo's side.

"So, dear, is there anything new?" My mom asked, her gaze catching mine and her fingers wrapping around it, giving it a light squeeze. "I can't wait for this to be over so you can relax and be by my side again."

I stared out into the darkness, my mind racing with questions.

"Nothing new, but what are your thoughts on Zina's attitude? She has become resentful of me and D'Angelo because her husband died while saving D'Angelo."

My mom sighed and sat up straight. "And can you blame her? She is pregnant, and we have all seen how she suffered before becoming pregnant. It's a complicated situation.”

"But it's not D'Angelo's fault," I began to defend my friend. Since the marking, I've felt a strong connection with him, and a need to protect his interests.

"Neither is Zina. You don't understand how losing a loved one can mess up your mind, especially if their death could have been prevented. I'm not saying what Grey did was stupid, but Zina has every right to feel that way about D'Angelo."

I knew deep down that my mom was correct, even though I refused to admit it. Grey's sacrifice was significant, one that few people could make.

"So, how can we help her overcome this? "Will she stay like this forever?"

Mom's eyes were half-closed as she allowed herself to smile. "For the time being, we can only hope that she finds happiness and joy in her life. It might help her get over this bitterness before it consumes her."

"you're saying exactly what D'Angelo said. can't you all see that she needs people by her side?” I rushed through my speech, completely focused on solving this problem.

"Relax, respect her, and let her deal with her grief. She knows you have no bad intentions for her, and I'm confident that one day she will be able to let go and accept that Grey is no more."

"This is so sad," I groaned, my fingers hovering over the areas where D'Angelo had marked me. My mom's gaze fell on the mark, and her smile spread.

"So, did you finally consummate your bond?"

My cheeks burned with embarrassment, and I couldn't control myself. It was weird to talk about sex with my mom. I pretended I had not heard her and attempted to change the subject, but she repeated it.

"Come on, Kira, you're a woman now; you should share things with me. But I know you too well, and the flush on your face speaks volumes."

"Why ask me when you can read my body language?" I said while covering my face with my hands. When I glanced at my mom, she was laughing.

"you're such a prude," she stated. "But I understand, and I hope that you both soon find the happiness and acceptance that you deserve."

I crossed my legs and shut my eyes, lost in thought, and my mom and I fell into a comfortable silence before I broke it.

"I feel like we did it at the wrong time, with crises and the death of someone close to his heart. Should we not be in mourning and avoid any form of pleasure?"

"Oh, honey, that is utter nonsense. If you continue to blame yourself, you will never be happy. Nothing can bring the dead back to life.”

We heard a knock on the door, and I went to answer it. Zion leaned against the wall, looking distressed.

"Hey, Kira," he said, breaking into a smile.  The change in his expression piqued my curiosity. "I came to say hello because I heard you were around. "How is the Alpha doing?"