Eighty-Two

While I was walking to the library, I noticed Caleb approaching from the opposite direction, right at me, but one of the bodyguards stopped him with a baton.

"Back off. she's not allowed to communicate with anyone," the bodyguard stated firmly.

Caleb looked surprised, and I had to reassure the bodyguard with a nod that it was fine for him to approach.

"He's not a threat," I said softly to one. He reluctantly agreed and stepped aside so I could pass. Caleb looked guilty as hell and refused to meet my gaze.

  I leaned against the wall and waited for him to speak. He appeared hesitant, fidgeting with his hands, unsure how to begin the conversation.

"Hey, Kira. I just wanted to apologize for that horrible incident. I regret not helping you out.”

His voice was hoarse, and his gaze refused to leave the ground.

"I just wanted to make it clear that I had no involvement in whatever they did to you," he added. "I know my sister, Carol, is vengeful and wants to harm you, and Alexis believes you're the reason the alpha can not be with her, but I'm confident that they weren't behind the attack."

My thoughts were clouded with confusion. If his sisters weren't responsible for the attack, who was? He was probably attempting to shield his sisters.

Unfortunately, he didn't sound convincing enough and should only speak for himself. I didn't trust anyone at this point, but I knew Caleb wasn't capable of causing me harm. His evil sisters, on the other hand, I believed were capable of anything.

"You don't believe me, right?" he asked, and I chuckled. Before answering, I forced myself to be as calm and collected as possible.

“Captain obvious. I hold nothing against you.”

"That's good to hear," he said with a relieved smile. "But hey, you played me for a fool. Why didn't you tell me you were D'Angelo's mate?"

Oops…

"We were keeping it under wraps. He didn't seem to want to mention it, and I didn't want you to react badly.”

“Your plan didn't seem to work,” he said with a small chuckle. “I felt really stupid when I found out. I liked you a lot and thought we could be more than friends, not knowing you were already taken."

His eyes held a glint of hurt and his words hung heavy in the air between us, creating an awkward silence. I had never wanted to hurt Caleb, but my heart had already chosen D'Angelo, and there was no changing that.

"Caleb, I..." I started, my voice faltering as I searched for the right words. Had I unknowingly led him on?

He raised a hand, stopping me mid-sentence. His eyes met mine, and they held understanding. It was as if he had come to terms with the reality of the situation, accepting the unspoken truth that our paths were meant to diverge.

"It's okay, Kira," he said softly, a bittersweet smile playing on his lips. "I knew deep down that my feelings were one-sided. I just... “

"Caleb, you're a good person," I whispered, my voice barely above a breath. "And I'd love us to be friends. There are plenty of amazing girls out there. I'm sure you'll find someone special," I reassured him.

"That's what you all always say when you want to friend-zone a poor guy.”

His smile widened at my reaction. “It's worse for me because it's hard for me to like girls. But when I do, it's like a battle not to hate them," he admitted.

I was lost for words, and an awkward silence lingered between us.

"All the same, I wish you well, Kira, even though we should be enemies due to the conflict of interest. You broke my heart, and you're taking my sister's baby daddy away. But who can fight a divine bond?" he said, offering his hand for a handshake.

I hesitated briefly before shaking his hand. Despite what had happened, I could tell he genuinely cared about me.

"Just stay safe," he said softly and I returned the smile.

"Well, I appreciate your concern. I'll see you later," I said cheerfully before walking away.
After school, I stepped out, accompanied by the bodyguard, and we made our way to the parking lot. It was time to go home, and D’Angelo was waiting for me at the cabin.

Just as I was about to get into the car, I noticed a group of people passing. The sight of Leo caused my heart to freeze like a block of ice, and it felt like a bubble of air had stopped in my lungs. I never imagined that someone's presence would make me so terrified that I couldn't move, let alone breathe or speak.

My breathing quickened as the panic set in. My chest tightened as my heart raced, and sweat began to form on my forehead. I struggled to take deep breaths, desperately trying not to collapse. I wouldn't be surprised if the bodyguards were working on him.

I was going to die because D'Angelo wasn't there to help me.

Leo came to a halt, and I instinctively shrank away from him as my heart raced. When he saw me, his eyes darkened dangerously and a smirk appeared on his face.

Without thinking, I took refuge behind one of the bodyguards, my clammy hands gripping the guard. I tried to stop trembling, but it was difficult to maintain control over my body.

The bodyguard took command, quickly leading me into the safety of the car, and I sat there trembling like a leaf. I imagined what might have happened if I hadn't been protected by those bodyguards.

I had no idea when we arrived at the cabin because I was so deep in thought, but when we did, I rushed into the house, crying out for D'Angelo. He was on a video call with some important-looking people, and he requested that I wait for him.

While he was on the phone, I was pacing around the house, distraught. He was finally finished after what seemed like hours. I immediately wrapped my arms around him, pressing my face against his chest and feeling his heartbeat frantically beneath my ear.

"Did something happen? Are you alright?" he questioned hurriedly. “Talk to me. Why do you look terrified?"

"it's Leo; he visited my school," I said, trembling. "He was out to harm me. I swear by the moon goddess.”

D'Angelo remained silent while staring at me, obviously concerned. His brows furrowed, and his lips formed a line.

“Did he say anything to you?"

I shook my head. "No, but his eyes pierced me like daggers. It was so creepy."

He pulled me into a hug and rubbed my back in soothing motions, attempting to calm my fears.

"Your plan is taking too long," I said, pulling away. "Will you wait until he kills another person before acting?"

D'Angelo stared at me, then reached over to cup both of my cheeks and stroke them with his thumb.

"I know what I'm doing," he explained calmly. "I won't rest till he's dead. There are others who require protection. Besides, the bastard has been avoiding me. The last time I asked to see him, he said his wife and son were ill."

"Just do something," I begged. "Anything. I don't want to die. I know that if Leo wants to hurt you, he'll come after me. He knows that my death will shatter you.

"That will never happen," he said firmly, a storm brewing inside him. The primal urge to protect his loved ones from harm radiated from every pore.

"I would never put you in danger like that. Grey is already gone. Leo is cunning but wise; he understands that if anything bad happens to you, everyone will point fingers at him.”

D’ Angelo was speaking, but I wasn't listening to him because of the terror running through my veins, which seemed determined to paralyze my body.

I wanted this to be over.