~~FIVE~~

Kira

I sat on the edge of the hospital bed, waiting for the doctor to discharge me. My mom and I were treated like soiled pigs by the doctor and nurses.

The doctor appeared as uninterested as ever and pretended that I had a communicable illness. He discharged me and walked away.

"Kira, we don't have a male figure. The elders do not value us because we are women. Do you realize the consequences of what you've done?" My mom asked and tears welled up in my eyes.

"I will take any punishment they hand me; I'll do anything. Please, mom. I can't bear to see you disappointed in me. You're all I've got."

She kissed me gently above the bandage on my forehead and said, "It is okay. We'll figure things out."

I felt bad, deep down, for keeping the truth about the alpha and our mating bond a secret. I decided to keep this secret to my grave.

We set off together, I supported myself by holding onto her. If the alpha brought me here, I wondered if he cared about me.

If there was a magic potion I could take to help me forget everything, I would drink it without hesitation.

I held my mom's clammy hand when we neared the Omega camp. Everybody went about their day, but when they saw us, there was a hushed silence and the women's gaze pierced my skin.

Then the whispers began. A few women, among whom my mom got along with, gossiped and made fun of us.

One of them said, "Look at her. What a stupid girl. I've always known she was just a beautiful airhead. Imagine going naked on the alpha's terrace to seduce him."

The reaction from Amari's mom hurt the most. "She's a complete nuisance. I've told my daughter to avoid her so she doesn't contaminate her."

"That is not fair, Genova,” my mom snapped at her. “Kira isn't a troublemaker. Had she not been invited by your daughter and the others..."

"Keep my daughter away from this," Genova flared up.

"You should do the same because my daughter is already distressed!"

I looked away, feeling horrible for putting my mom through this. Elder Logan smirked and stepped closer to us "Imani, you should be ashamed of yourself for supporting your badly behaved daughter."

Another elder agreed.  "It's obvious that you didn't raise her properly "

Everyone was blaming me while ignoring the fact that their children were worse. I'd never been caught stealing, lying, or messing around, but all of a sudden my head was on the block and I was the worst child alive.

Elder Logan spoke gravely, "Her punishment will be to ensure there is plenty of water in the bathrooms."

"That's too much, elder" My mom's voice trembled. "She got beaten-"

Elder Logan rebuked her."She needs to learn her lesson."

No friend visited my tent as night fell. Had I not attended that alpha's coronation party, I could have avoided meeting that devilishly handsome alpha who was now invading my body, mind, and spirit.

I carefully slipped out of my tent at four in the morning so as not to wake my mother. The Omega camp lay still with everyone asleep.

The bathroom was well-used and had seen better days and the strong smell of pee hit my nose.

I began the heavy task of fetching water from the nearby stream .My body was straining under the weight of the stress. Tirelessly, I continued until sunrise.