Seventy-Nine

D’Angelo

I made the long journey to the desert Oasis, where my father's very trusted ally ruled as Alpha. I wasn't born when the pact was made, but before he died, my father assured me that I could trust them with my life and that if my people failed me, the desert werewolves would help me rebuild my legacy.

Leo's treachery stunned me to the core. He didn't even deserve to be Beta, and he wasn't in line to become the lead Beta. Mario should have been given the position, but I judged him and didn't think he was capable, and because I had known Leo and Grey my entire life, I wanted them to help me lead the pack.

Little did I know that friends could betray one another and turn traitors. Leo betrayed me and the innocent Grey. And I wasn't just planning revenge for myself, but also for my friend, who died unjustly.

My dad's words about the unpredictability of trust echoed in my mind. I regarded Leo as a friend and brother, but the evil bastard concealed his true intentions behind a facade of loyalty.

Hugo, one of our trusted warriors, and I arrived just before dawn. The flight was a long, exhausting eighteen-hour journey, slept for the majority of the flight and awoke only when we landed. We arrived at the desert oasis just before sunrise. The dry heat made my skin prickle and I groaned as I dismounted from the plane.

We were greeted by a group of werewolves at the airport, who led us to a convoy of cars. They drove us to a stronghold deep in the desert, and I couldn't take my gaze away from the breathtaking scenery. It was hot, but the kind of place where you would not want to leave once you got inside.

Calling it perfect was an understatement. It was surrounded by massive dunes and tall palm trees that swayed in the wind.  The streets were lined with luxury mansions and Adobe houses.

When we arrived at their alpha's house, a young man about my age greeted us inside the fortress. His face was unreadable as he scanned me up and down, his crystal blue eyes reminding me of Kira. I reminded myself to call her after the meeting.

He stared at us for quite a while before nodding and leading us inside. The interior looked like something out of a movie.

"Sit," he offered casually and I perched on a single sofa.

"I'm Alpha Jeffery Zwade the fifth. I had no idea we were expecting visitors from the south."

Oops. What a rude person.

"Alpha D'angelo Lavigne IV, from the Blood Moon pack. "It is an honor to meet you, Alpha Jeffery," I said politely, chiseling a smile into my face.

His commanding presence dissolved, and his eyes doubled in size, most likely recognizing me from my name and pack.

"Forgive my manners," he said, bowing slightly and clasping my hand. "You must be here to see my father, Jeffery IV. He was a great friend to your father. He was deeply affected by your father's death. Please forgive us for not paying our last respects because my father was ill at the time and I didn't see the point in going without him."

I dismissed his apology, and he sat in an armchair across from us, his legs crossed.

"I hope your journey was pleasant?"

"Yes, thank you, Alpha. I apologize if my letter informing the Alpha of my arrival wasn't delivered. I'm an alpha who follows protocols, and I understand how important it is to always be informed and not caught off guard."

Jeffery smiled as he excused himself to go send for his father. I gave Hugo a thumbs up, and he responded with a salute, looking pleased. We waited for about ten minutes before a man in uniform approached us and offered us drinks, which we declined.

Jeffery soon returned and guided us down the corridor, opening a massive wooden door and we stepped into a private room. A tall man with silvery gray hair and deep brown eyes sat on the couch. His face lit up when he saw me, and he rose to embrace me.

“Oh, my son. "What a joy to have you in my home," he exclaimed, wrapping me in a tight hug before releasing me.

"When you wrote your letters, you mentioned that you were visiting the city, but I never imagined it would be to see me personally. Thank you for your visit to my home. “

His warm touch immediately relaxed my tense shoulders. It felt great to have an older figure in my life after my father's passing.

"No problem," I said, smiling again and taking a seat next to him.

Before the older Alpha spoke, the wind carried the sounds of distant howls. "Your father's words have led you here. It gives me great joy to receive you. Please sit with me and share a meal.”

Who am I to refuse? We all went to the dining room and had a great time talking and enjoying each other's company. Eventually, younger Jeffery excused himself to attend to some business, leaving me with his father.

Alpha Jeffery leaned in after the meal, his eyes full of curiosity. "Tell me, son. How can I assist you?

I sighed and got straight to the point. "My pack is in terrible danger. My Beta, whom I had once trusted, has betrayed me. He has been pretending to be on my side while indirectly causing the death of a dear friend during the war, as you must have heard.”

The Alpha listened intently, stroking his silver beard in thought before nodding. "That's a very minor case. It's a sad reality that not everyone can be trusted and I'll help you. Is there lawlessness brewing within your pack?"

My response was a shake of my head. "Not yet, but I can feel it stirring. I fear that soon they will rise against me."

"And do you trust any other Alphas? Are there those who you believe will stand by your side?"

I nodded, mentioning the name of three loyal Alpha from my tribe and hoping they would remain steadfast.

He nodded with a smile. "Then you have nothing to fear. Your Beta will fall prey to all our plans and his actions shall be punished harshly. You, my son, have come to the right place."

______

My insides churned with rage as Kira recounted the events that occurred after I departed from the pack. It was insane that the women came in droves to attack an innocent girl who had done nothing wrong.

I went to the bathroom to freshen up, leaving my phone on speaker. "Please remain indoors, my love. don't leave that building under any circumstances. If possible, always lock your bedroom door and flee to the underground room when danger approaches."

"Just come home to me, please. I don't know what I'll do without you," she whispered.

"I will, and everything will be fine, my love." I promise."