Forty-Eight

Kira

Most parents retired upstairs to sleep as night fell after supper. Although I'd been shunned earlier, I was determined to try again and convince some of the omegas who loved school that we couldn't afford to give up.

Not when our futures were at stake. I was not going to live the rest of my life as an illiterate omega. Life's opportunities and doors are greatly increased by education. Finding good jobs was difficult for us omegas, as we were already limited.

I also wanted D'Angelo to think highly of me. Sometimes I had fantasies of him declaring to the world that I was his mate, but it was wishful thinking. I didn't want him to be ashamed of me.

Among the many omegas who had backed out, I knew of five or six girls who were avid readers. I whispered to one of the girls, telling her to bring the others to the playground.

I got a cold look from Petra, the girl who got baptized in watermelon juice, as she walked out.

"Your attempts won't work, Kira. I'm not setting foot in that school again."

I sighed, trying to keep calm. "Please, Petra, just listen to me.”

"No, you listen,” she said, flicking her platinum hair and cutting me off. “Is it even worth it? What if nothing changes, or worse, if one of us gets hurt?"

I tried to stay upbeat even though it was difficult to reassure them that we would be alright.

"Trust me, that won't happen. The alpha promised to handle it. I'll report everything, and he'll make sure we're safe."

Another girl, Amy, spoke up. "But has anything been done yet, or are we just hoping for the best?"

I spaced my words out, acting confident. "I've already filed a complaint. Once D'Angelo returns, I'll tell him everything. We have enough witnesses if he needs them."

My heart raced as the girls exchanged wary looks, considering their options.

I had faith in D'Angelo. This was nothing for him to handle if he could bring us from the borders into the pack.

Petra bit her lip. "Fine, I'll give it a shot. But if nothing changes, I'm out."

"That's all I ask for. “

The next morning, I woke earlier than usual, careful not to disturb my sleeping mom. With a silent shuffle, I reached for my phone to check the time. It was a few minutes before five am.

Thoughts of D'Angelo's return filled my mind, along with worries about the day ahead. I lay back down beside my mom, she always smelled of talcum powder.

Memories of yesterday's bullying flooded my thoughts, leaving me feeling small and defeated. Why couldn't people be kinder? Why didn't the moon goddess make us all equal? We were omegas but also deserving of respect. There was too much discrimination.

I went back to sleep with a heavy heart. At six my mom woke me up, looking worried.

"Kira, do you think you will attend school today? You want to help, I know that, but please keep yourself safe. D'Angelo cannot keep you safe all the time because he is not a student.”

I sat up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. “ I'm sure, Mom, we can't live in fear forever. If I don't stand up for us omegas, who will? Besides, D'Angelo promised to help."

She sighed and assisted me in choosing my black shorts and navy blue T-shirt. Compared to the rags I used to wear, the outfit was cute.

“Please be careful. Don't forget you're all I have. I don't want you getting hurt.”