Eighty-Four

D’Angelo

Things were looking up, and I was following every instruction given to me by my supporters. Taking Kira to the couples retreat was very instrumental in making sure that I had made my statement.

Not only did I need to reassure her that I loved her and would never leave her side, I realized I was foolish all this while to be afraid of what my pack mates would think.

But not anymore.

If the same people I was fighting tooth and nail for could divide and plot my downfall, then why did I need to sacrifice anything for them?

I was going to flaunt my love for Kira to the world and show her that she didn't have to worry about anything as long as I was there for her

Step one was successful, and now it was time for step two. I had called Leo earlier, giving him thirty minutes to come to the pack house since he refused to disclose the so-called hospital his wife and kid were in.

Sitting in the main living room, I waited for the bastard to arrive. I glanced at the clock, it was nearly five pm, which meant that he was over an hour late.

That infuriated me more than it should've, especially because I was starving. Leo walked in and chiseled a smile into his features, looking like an overstuffed chicken with its head stuck in the oven.

He plopped onto a chair opposite to me, crossing his hands on his chest and resting his chin on his knuckles. His brown hair was slightly shorter and more well-styled than I remembered

As soon as I laid eyes on his figure, my wolf howled in fury. The anger I felt over his betrayal was unlike anything I've ever experienced

"Am I overreacting, or have you been avoiding me lately?" I asked with a strained smile on my lips. He looked at me blankly and as usual, he chuckled humorlessly as if this whole situation was amusing to him.

“Avoiding you? Why would I do that? I've just been dealing with family stuff. My wife and son fell sick and I couldn't just ignore the situation,” he answered nonchalantly and the corner of his lips lifted into another smirk.

"I asked to come see them," I said, ignoring his lies "Are you purposely hiding them from everyone?”

"Of course not. They're doing fine now. You also have been scarce. I hardly see you at home whenever I come to pick stuff up."

Leo was lying because the housekeeper informed me that he hadn't been here in over two weeks. The house was empty now that I spent most nights with Kira at the cabin and Zina was grieving her husband's death at his family house, which by the way, I made a mental note to find time to go visit her.

Leaning against my chair, I took some seconds to compose a mild attack. Leo eagerly waited, his green eyes boring into mine like a tiger ready to pounce anytime.

"I've been hearing some nasty rumors lately, and they're pretty serious accusations. They have been made against you and I  honestly don't want to believe them.”

He stopped smiling and his mouth gaped open, pretending to be confused. "What kind of rumors?" He asked with a mocking soft tone. I took my time before responding to him.

“Apparently," I continued. "They're accusing you of going behind my back and trying to convince people that I'm not good enough so you can take over the pack.”

Leo looked genuinely stunned and it pissed me off. He cleared his throat and averted his gaze from me. I crossed my arms across my chest and stared straight at him

"Seriously? You of all people know that this is crap,” he said with raised arms “ I can never do that. You know that.”

"Do I?"