Fifty

D'Angelo

I agreed to go with Alexis to the hospital to find out the gender of our unborn child, and she was overjoyed. When we checked in at the reception desk, she tried to clasp my hand and even nuzzled her chin on my head in her desperation to look like the picture-perfect couple.

I felt sick to my stomach. The only reason I hadn't snapped at her was because she was carrying my baby and I didn't need anyone to tell me how difficult it was carrying another human being in your stomach.

Even so, I felt like throwing up when she touched me. The receptionist, who acted overly excited, seemed to be in her twenties, judging from her face and hairstyle, a weird combination of red, green, and white that looked like someone poured dye through her hair.

She greeted us warmly and I offered a watery smile while she directed us to the waiting area. As per usual, Alexis sat too close to me, touching me excessively, and when she leaned in to whisper something in my ear, I nearly recoiled.

“I'm certain that I am carrying a boy. Isabel said the signs that one is having a boy include an increased sense of well-being, a tendency to seek physical contact, more often than not, and…”  She trailed off then looked up at me innocently, “What is it, D’Lo? Look around you and see how males like you are taking care of their lovers. You're so annoying.”

Her voice remained sickly sweet, but I could tell she was getting hot under the collar. I kept my face between magazine pages in an attempt to divert my attention. Alexis continued to move in closer, folding and unfolding her legs. I tapped my foot after looking at my phone for the zillionth time.

"Our son, as handsome as his mother and as strong as his father, is going to be the next alpha and walk in your shoes."

Laughing easily, Alexis expressed her amusement. With my thoughts elsewhere, I stayed silent. Having a first male meant that Alexis would be Luna and I would be stuck with her for life, so deep down I hoped for a girl.

“Well, say something?” she probed, her ice-blue eyes locking on mime.

With a shrug, I said, "I have nothing to say. Whether male or female, children are priceless gifts.”

Alexis rolled her eyes. “Don't jinx it. She'd better not be a girl. Our second child could be a girl.

I almost laughed. I'd rather have a vasectomy than let Alexis have her way with me.

“Be glad I didn't get you arrested for raping me.”

Her hand shot to her mouth as she let out a gasp. You can count on Alexis to exaggerate. "You must not say that again. I mean, how can I rape someone twice my size? You were drunk and we had sex so don't paint me as some kind of evil rapist.'’

This conversation usually ended in an argument, and even though I gave her the benefit of the doubt that she was carrying my child, I would kick her ass and punish her for betraying me as soon as I found out through the results of the DNA test that the baby is not mine.

"Why do you seem so angry with me all the time?" She gave a pout. "Have you forgotten that I had a lot of admirers and was one of the most sought-after women in the pack before I became pregnant with your child? I feel foolish for settling for someone who doesn’t even think highly of me.”

“Stop exaggerating,” I muttered under my breath and created some space between us.

“I'm not. She spoke with a strong hint of resentment, "You treat me like I have some contagious disease."

“I'm not irritated, Alexis. I am just thinking a lot right now."

"You are constantly thinking about a lot of things. Given your lack of warmth, how do you think we can raise a child? This is supposed to be a partnership. It's not like you've even found your real mate.”

The moment she spoke those words, I turned slowly to face her, holding my breath and filling a jolt through my body. She was not as stupid as I believed, and she understood the depth of the mating bond.

Even though I knew Alexis would never submit to an Omega, I still felt that my fear of Kira being harmed was unfounded. It would be a slap in her face and her haughty father's.

“I'm glad you know what finding my mate means. It transforms everything. So you would have to give up when I eventually find her.”

With a nasty laugh, Alexis rubbed her stomach and said, "In your dreams, darling. Don't tell me you believe in that soulmate nonsense.”

Bummer.

She reached over to hug me. “I automatically become a member of your family if I give birth to a son. Raising the heir of the alpha is customary for Luna.”

I stared vacantly at the door without saying a word. Then a question struck in my head

“What about you? What happens when you find your soulmate?"

She grew quiet for a bit before shrugging  "Why would I want to disrupt my perfect life for some bond? I want our baby to have a perfect family, with a father and a mother. And since you've already got me pregnant, no mating bond can tear us apart."

"That's not how it works,” I snapped without meaning it. “You're willing to sacrifice true love for appearances. That's a foolish idea if you ask me.”

"Different priorities, honey; not foolish."

I sighed, worn out from the discussion. Thankfully her name was called. We followed the nurse to the examination room.

The sonographer was excited and shocked to see me. It was awkward, to put it mildly, when this middle-aged man bowed to me with respect.

I replied to his greeting by asking, "So what is the procedure like?" 

"She only needs to lie down on the table and watch the ultrasound on the monitor."

With machines all around, Alexis took a seat on the examination table. The sonographer put gel on her abdomen and powered on the device. My heart was pounding rapidly as he moved the ultrasound probe over her abdomen.

I was still in shock that I would become a father. At this point I don't care whether it's a boy or a girl as long as the child is healthy, I was satisfied.

“Is it a boy?” She asked for the sonography, impatient to find out.

“You might have to wait for the result ma'am,” he said cheerfully.

A mild chuckle escaped my lips when Alexis said I should be romantic for once and hold her hands for support. Her hands were soft and sweaty and I could tell she was very nervous.

We watched the monitor as the sonographer moved the ultrasound wand over her belly. When the image of a baby appeared on the screen, my heart was filled with joy.

I studied every detail as the sonographer pointed out the various parts of the baby's body and described what he was seeing.

Alexis on the other hand was impatient about the gender reveal.

"Alright, alpha, are you ready to find out the gender of your baby?"

“Can you cut the chase and tell me already,” Alexis almost yelled.

The sonographer took a calming breath before speaking "Well, it looks like you're having a girl. Congratulations to you.”