TWENTY

Kira

I bit my nails and paced the room, restless and praying nothing special had happened downstairs. Every few seconds, I glanced at the door.

Everywhere was pin-drop silence, and I imagined them gathering at the quadrangle with Alpha D'Angelo's powerful and intimidating presence, speaking to them and maybe surveying the place, searching for me.

Though I didn't want my mom to get into trouble, I was terrified at the unavoidable outcome. Being impatient myself, I found it difficult to wait for an extended period.

I sighed with relief when, roughly ten minutes later, I heard voices coming from downstairs. The meeting was over, and now I needed to find out if he had noticed my absence or if I was going to be punished for not following his orders.

Taking multiple deep breaths, I tried to remain calm.

The door opened, and my mom walked in. I hurried to her side and grabbed her arm and she gave me a weird look.

"What did the alpha want? How did the meeting go?"

Following my mother, Zion entered. He snorted and rolled his eyes at my question, saying, "The prick just wanted to welcome us and thinks he can boss us around. He's so fucking arrogant."

I fixed a gaze at my mother, ignoring Zion. I expected her to look worried, but she didn't. She shrugged and took a seat on the bed's edge.

"He greeted us warmly and saw to our comfort. He asked Elder Logan if there were any missing persons, and that worried me.”

My heart skipped several beats.

He noticed.

"And was there anything else he said?" I asked anxiously.

She shook her head, "No, he didn't, but we have to be careful. Something about this doesn't feel right. Though I am sure the alpha has our best interests in mind, I also believe he has other agendas. Never forget that he is the alpha.

I felt a shiver go down my spine as I bit my lower lip. He obviously had bad intentions, and the wise course of action would have been to stay away from him at all costs, but the bond wouldn't let me.

Zion broke the moment. “Let's go downstairs, Kira, everyone is checking out the house."

Despite my reluctance, I had to pretend. I followed him downstairs, feeling a little out of place that we had this big house to ourselves—marble floors, expensive furniture—a far cry from our run-down omega camp.

It was a luxury we never had at the camp: some of the Omega adults were watching TV with excitement in the living room. There were other people outside talking and gossiping while seated on the concrete benches.

The children played in the small playground tucked away in the compound's corner. Everyone was enjoying themselves.

Zion put his arm around my waist and drew me in. I was uncomfortable as soon as I felt his breath on my neck. I had to pretend even though my wolf no longer enjoyed his touch or smell. We were still a couple, after all.

He took me to a quiet corner away from other people and looked at me as if I did something awful to him.

"Why are you doing this to us, Kira?" He sounded desperate as he asked, "Why are you acting like you don't love me?"

"For the love of the Moon Goddess, Zion, I don't want to talk about this anymore; we have moved past it."

He shook his head, refusing to listen, "You used to love me, Kira. We were happy together. We even planned our future and gave our unborn children names, and we had endless conversations about getting married. How did things change?

I choked on my words. "The bond, Zion, the bond has changed everything."

"So that's it? You are rejecting me because of someone who’ll eventually reject you," he said, his jaw clenched fiercely. “That guy will never choose you; he doesn't even want you. So stop being a foolish girl."

"Zion, please don't make this harder than it already is, and understand that I'm setting you free because I don't want you to suffer."

"I can fight for us, fight for our love, fight for what we share. I don't need your sympathy," he angrily declared. “Kira, we have a chance. Don't blow this away. We have each other."

I felt sorry for him as I stared back at him because of the brokenness in his tone. I knew that Zion would be there to dry my tears when the alpha finally broke my heart.

Even though he behaved like a douchebag and I didn't like his hero complex, it was comforting to know that he thought of me.

Nothing much happened for the remainder of the day, and when Amari visited my room, I felt terrible about keeping such important secrets from my best friend. But Mom had cautioned me to keep this to myself, and we were hoping Zion wouldn't tell everyone about it.

I enjoyed the scent of the blooming flowers and the morning dew as I made my way to my morning shift at the veterinary clinic. I've always had a strong connection to flowers, trees, and the earth, even though it was a characteristic shared by all of us werewolves.

I was too preoccupied to notice the alpha leaning against a baobab tree. When the air changed and I sniffed the bond, my body froze. I was unable to think or move forward. The alpha came striding over to me, our breaths mixing as he got close.

“W-what are you…good morning alpha,” I stammered as I desperately tried to regain my composure, but failed.

When we locked eyes, I found myself gasping for air. My wolf went into a wild frenzy when I felt his breath on my lips because we were so close. I begged my wolf to stop being such a horny bitch as I closed my eyes and stopped breathing.

"You disobeyed my orders," he said in a quiet voice.

I took a deep breath. I could feel his light hazel eyes piercing my body, causing my insides to churn violently.

"Where were you yesterday?"

In a rush, I said, "I was sick." "F-female issues."

He looked confused for a second before smirking, "What's the evidence?"

"Huh?"

"Don't lie to me," he growled, cupping my butt and squeezing. I was overcome with lust from my scalp to my toes.

I pleaded softly, shaking from fear that someone might see us, "Alpha...please stop."

But the alpha was unable to regulate his feelings, much less mine. He took hold of my top's collar and drew me in.

"Please…" I cried helplessly, my body shaking.

"It's wrong to disobey."

With his warm breath tickling my neck once more, the alpha leaned forward. I took a sharp breath and tried to back away, but his strong arms caught me.

He paused, then said, "Tell me where you went, and I might not do more than pinch your butt."

When his bulge touched my lap and he pressed in close to me, I let out a soft whimper,

"A...alpha....please."

He planted his lips on my neck as the suddenly oppressive, heavy air enveloped me.