TWENTY ONE

D'Angelo

A sudden rise of awareness snapped me back like a lightning bolt when I realized what I was about to do. Kira's looked away and an apricot colored blush spread from her cheek to her neck.

She shifted her weight from foot to foot nervously, staring at her feet as if something were interesting on the floor, and fidgeted with her hands.

When she raised her gaze to meet mine, I fought the urge to kiss her nonsensically and never let go, but I also felt so damn guilty for nursing such feelings.

"I shouldn't have touched you. I didn't know what I was thinking," I said with a wince. My stomach knotted with nervousness and my voice lost its volume.

Kira looked wounded. Her look told me so-it was one of pain and restlessness. Trembling, she surveyed the area to make sure that nobody was watching.

"Promise me that this will never happen again."

I was not even sure of myself, so how could I make such promises? I was sure only of how much I needed her.

"Please." Her eyes begged and my heart split in two. I'd never seen such beautiful pain in anyone's eyes before. I hated myself for being the cause of it. If only there was something I could do about it.

"Be careful what you wish for," I warned. The tears that threatened to run down her cheeks were visible under the serious frown on her face.

"You need to save your power and superiority for the pack members and the people you can repress," she snapped, her voice hoarse.

My jaw dropped open in shock. No one has ever dared to talk back at me; Leo was the most daring, and even he was careful with his words.

"Was that for me?" I arched my brow.

"I apologize for being snarky," but her actions were different from her words as she gave me a cold, hard look.

"Omega, you don't look remorseful. I would be careful with my words if I were you."

A thin smile came to her lips. "Maybe you're right, I'm not sorry, and I think it's high time you need to be called out."

The directness of her tone sent me into silence. Did the mating bond give her more courage?

My jaw tightened. She bit her lip and looked away. She may appear innocent, but her eyes grew cold; also, she remained composed and didn't falter.

I felt my blood pressure rise and my muscles tense up. She was playing with my head, getting under my skin.

Breathing deeply and reminding myself of who I was, I made an effort to calm myself.

Her Alpha.

My mom died while bringing me into this world, and my dad refused to remarry. Up until now, I was unaware of the extent to which the mating bond affected mates.

Regardless, I had married friends; Isabel never answered back to Leo. Zina and Grey had a different dynamic because they were friends before they were married. But Kira was an Omega; rather than trembling in fear as she should have, she stood in front of me with a challenge in her eyes.

This bond made every form of authority I had seem stupid.

"Give me one good reason for calling me out for doing the right thing?" I defended myself. She folded her arms and lifted her chin.

"Alpha, I respect you and I'll try hard to choose my words with care so that I don't get punished, but I am tired of the cat-and-mouse game we've been playing. One minute you stare at me like you're stripping me naked; the next minute, you're apologizing and avoiding me like the plague."