~~ NINETEEN

D'Angelo

I watched the omegas step out one by one from their newly assigned duplexes, heads bowed, shoulders slumped, like a pack of scared rabbits.

It bothered me that they treated me like some kind of god and that none of them dared to look me in the eye.

They seemed uneasy, as if just staring at me would cause them to collapse and die, not that it was a bad thing for them to respect their Alpha.

I swept my eyes around them, trying to find Kira. When they first arrived, I saw how hard she'd tried to hide from me.

The sensation was delightful. I could smell her even without seeing her face. She was standing next to someone who looked a lot like. I figured that was her mom.

From the look of things, the woman was a traditional conservative. She didn't notice her daughter's distress. Possibly due to Kira not informing her about the bond,

That was strange and piqued my interest even more. I was curious as to why Kira had not told her mom. Was her mother mean to her?

"Logan," I beckoned, calling for the Omega elder, and felt guilty for causing him stress; he was frail and old with a wrinkled face. Bowing his head, he hurried over to me.

"I don't have all day," I said, pretending to be very impatient while, in reality, I just wanted to see Kira.

I was sure Kira would have been very stubborn if she had not been Omega. With a bell in his hand, Logan bellowed and made threats to use his belt on those inside. But Kira remained missing, and even though I knew she was inside, I didn't tell Logan about my findings to keep her out of trouble.

"Are these all the omegas?" I demanded.

In order to make sure that nobody was missing, Logan started calling each family's name. I nearly laughed because my time had been wasted coming here.

"I know you're wondering why I, of all people, let you move in with us in the main pack," I said.

I observed their responses; they inclined their heads, nodded in agreement, and leaned in listen to me.

"This will be brief and straightforward. Our enemies are encroaching, and the borders are no longer secure. I worry that you omegas may be put in danger as a result of them. I know that this is a very big leap, considering the disagreement from the other members of the pack, so I am urging you not to misuse this opportunity."

With a respectful bow of the head and hushed conversation among themselves, they nodded in agreement.

"We understand, Alpha.”

"As you can tell, the pack members are eager to prove me wrong by suggesting that letting you in might bring chaos. Please prove yourselves valuable to the pack in exchange for my kindness. I don't need to remind you that you must follow the rules, respect the hierarchy, and be valuable members of the pack. Is that clear?”

They echoed, "Yes, alpha."

Despite my best efforts to remain focused, Kira was my only thought. Was I really that awful? Could she not bear to face me?

I looked for her mother; the instant our eyes locked, she lowered her head. Maybe I was wrong; maybe she knew about the bond and instructed her daughter to stay indoors.

I stepped forward to get a close-up look at the woman, all the while maintaining a casual reaction and watching everyone else. The ridiculous attempts at attention-seeking by a few of the Omega girls also caught my attention. They were scruffy and skinny, and it dawned on me that Kira was rather good looking for an omega. Weeks of good food and skincare would enhance her beauty

Suddenly, I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye and turned to see a disheveled-looking boy leaving Kira's building.

He looked defiant, walking in our direction. I knew who the fool was—the one who abandoned Kira on the terrace.

He was no longer behaving like a coward, but it was too late; his reputation had already been tarnished.

The coward fled, leaving Kira drunk on my terrace, and he would have fucked her brains out if I had not arrived sooner.

Instead of bowing his head or displaying any respect, he looked at me with a smug smirk, as if he was insulting me and daring me to try my hardest,

My anger and frustration grew within me; my wolf growled and begged me to deal with him. The boy needed to learn a lesson or two, but I was not one to get into petty fights.

How could a so-called brave guy abandon his girl in such predicament? I wondered whether they were a committed couple. That would have to end because I couldn't share my mate with an Omega.

I chastised myself, "Dammit Angelo, don't be delusional."

It was stupid to feel jealous of an Omega boy. To show him that I was superior to him, I had to exercise restraint while waiting for the right opportunity to attack.

"That is all I have to say for now," I forced a smile. "You are free to return to your apartments and settle in. I will talk to you soon."

I ignored them and continued to stare at that boy; all but the bastard bowed in thanks.

There was a tiny twitch at the corner of his mouth, and I felt like squeezing his thin neck.

I went back to the mansion instead. At the foyer, council members waited for me. I had expected their visit and knew they were here to air grievances and concerns regarding the omegas.

"Alpha, we can not live with omegas; we can't put our lives in danger by hanging around them," Yvonne, the head of the women's council, spoke in a zombie-like voice, "For all we know, most of them may be carrying contagious diseases."

Elder Sam supported Yvonne, "D'Angelo, we know you are young and revolutionary, but there are some mistakes that are considered deadly; this is one of them. Having lived for more than a century, I have had the good fortune to serve your father and grandfather. None of them made the error of allowing omegas in the pack."

I remained silent, which he took as permission to keep yapping.

"With all due respect, Alpha, there must be a way to eliminate this threat from our midst and bring it under control."

"So what is the issue with them coexisting with us?" I snapped, annoyed with their bickering.  They sounded like buzzing flies.

"The omegas are already here, and I cannot send them back, so I can't take your suggestions into consideration as long as they are healthy enough to live with us."

"You can, Alpha," the youth leader and a muscular, hot-headed man named Peter said, holding up a hand. "Your word is law, and you are alpha."

I clapped, "Good point. And I appreciate you bringing that up. That being said, I would like to stop hearing about the complaints regarding Omega. I should never have to defend my choices to anyone. My leadership cannot be compared to that of my father or grandfather. You might as well bring them back from the dead if I am that horrible."

They mumbled among themselves and nodded quietly, as if my words had deeply offended them. They knew that bothering me would do more harm than good, so they walked away.

At least they were sensible enough to not to push me or cause me any trouble by disobeying me in any way.

I was pleased with my tiny triumph and grinned to myself.

A/N: Who's your favorite character? Mine is Zina because she reminds me of myself.
Please like, comment and vote. THANK YOU!