Fifty-Five

D'Angelo

The bouts of sadness I felt were beyond description. My heart, my mind, and even the very atoms around me were all filled with despair. 

It wasn't an emotion I was capable of understanding. It made my body numb and my soul was as if someone had pulled a plug from deep within me. The only other sensation that registered on my radar was restlessness.

I was ruining this beautiful thing I had with Kira. Her unexpected outburst yesterday left me feeling unsettled. She was frustrated, and rightfully so. She desired to be marked, to have that tangible connection, and it was a natural longing for any mate.

But could I give her what she wanted? If I marked her, it would be permanent and would brand her as mine for eternity. That act had severe consequences. She would bear my scent, my imprint, forever on her skin.

In our pack, where appearances mattered more than anything, such a mark would not go unnoticed.

The gossip, the judgment, the danger she would face—all of it would be my fault. People would talk, speculate, and perhaps even condemn me for choosing an omega as my mate.

The elders of the pack, other alphas, the youth—everyone would have something to say. And what about Kira's safety?

I loved her. I longed to be with her and share this journey with her. But the cons overshadowed the pros and I was trapped in this endless cycle of overthinking, unsure of what to do.

Snapping out of my thoughts, I walked briskly into the makeshift command center we had set up in the west wing of the main pack house.

Grey was already there, hunched over a stack of maps and reports. Because of the recent rumors of war from the northern coast, we'd sent out spies to go check.

Grey looked up and smiled. “The spies are alive and well. We've sent them the necessary funds to continue their operations."

“Great,” I said, collapsing on a chair.

"Maybe the rumor of war doesn’t hold water then. All alphas concerned should just keep calm and carry on with their lives."

I shook my head. "There's always a bit of truth in every rumor. Our enemies might be hoping to strike when we're most relaxed or our guard  down."

Grey took in my words. "True,” then followed by an awkward silence. It was unusual for us to lack what to talk about but unlike Leo, Grey could read people from their body language and he knew I wasn't in a good mood.

"You okay? You look... more troubled than usual “

I sighed, hesitating on whether to tell him or not.  "I was shitty towards Kira," I admitted, the words tasting bitter in my mouth. "And now, we might be having our first major disagreement."

Grey frowned and inched closer "What happened?"

I picked up a fountain pen and played with it absentmindedly. "When we were alone, during a heavy make-out session, she asked me to mark her, to complete the mating process."

I trailed off,  letting Grey fill in the blanks. He caught up and nodded solemnly.

“That's tough.”

“Indeed.”

Gray knew how much I hated being pitted so he said nothing overtly. “The longer Kira goes without being sealed, the more restless and potentially unstable she might become."

I glanced at Grey. “That's a damn myth.”

Grey chuckled dryly. "It's not a myth. The bond between mates is the strongest force in our world. If it weren't for the bond, do you think I'd have ended up with Zina, who was once your devoted girlfriend whom you were in love with?"

I was silent, pondering over his words. “Picture how my life would have been messed up if you were married to Zina and refused to let her go. It's very much possible for people to lose their minds without their bond.”

I raised my hands in surrender. "I'm trying to make her happy, Grey.”

"You are, and I must commend you for that. You upgraded their lifestyles, sure. But remember, someone like Kira would choose happiness in a leaking tent over misery in a duplex. It's not about material comfort for her."

Grey was hitting the nail on the head and it affected my thoughts. I sat there like a statue, not moving, not saying a word, and just listening to him.

"The only one who can advise you is yourself. Others' opinions might not align with what you feel is right. If you truly believe you can't mark her because of the consequences, then maybe it's kinder to reject her rather than let her suffer in this uncertainty."

“I can't reject her. I love her.”

“Is your love for her stronger than the fear of backlash, if yes,” he said, meeting my gaze squarely. “Then, by all means, go ahead and mark her and forget the external noise.”

I knew Grey was right and didn't need anyone to tell me. He got a call from Zina who had announced earlier to us that she had a surprise dinner and everyone should be home at seven. It was almost five pm and I needed a major distraction.

My solution was to take Alexis Caleb and Carol to the recently furnished art gallery. The contractor had sent me pictures and I, who was usually very hard to please, loved the effort he made in making the place a masterpiece.

The fact that I wasn't in love with Alexis did not mean that I didn't want her to be happy. Also, the moment she begins her business, she would have less time to bug me.

"Where are you taking us, D'angelo?" she asked, bouncing like a baby in the passenger seat of my car.

“Maybe a family date,” Carol, who had an unhealthy obsession with the color purple, squirmed. “Oh my gosh, I can't wait to take pictures and show my friends who have been jealous that I am the Alpha sister-in-law”

Caleb, her brother, who was a faithful comrade, laughed hard beside her. “Since when did you become his sister-in-law? Is Alexis married to him yet?”

“Shut up!” Alexis and Carol yelled at the same time, intensifying Caleb's laughter. The sight brought a smile to my lips.

"Come on, tell me,” Alexis purred and her sultriness irritated me.

“No. I promise it's worth the suspense," I replied, keeping my tone light and playful, even though I felt like yanking my hair off.

"But you've never done anything like this before. What's the occasion?" she pressed on.

"Just trust me. You're distracting me from driving.”

We arrived in front of the building. I parked and quickly got out to open the door for Alexis, who was now visibly bubbling. "This is for you,” I announced, handing her a key with a flourish.

“Huh? Don't tell me you bought the house for me to chase me out of the pack house!”

I groaned. “Alexis, does this look like a residential area?”

Her face changed and her eyes widened in shock. "This," I gestured towards the building, "is for you to discover. Go on."

Caleb and Carol couldn't contain their excitement. "Hurry up, Alexis!" they said at once.

With trembling hands, Alexis worked the key into the lock, her movements clumsy. The door swung open, and she let out a scream of pure joy.

"It's an art gallery! My gallery!" she cried. “Oh my God!”

I lingered at the door, not liking the smell of fresh paint that filled the new space. I could hear Alexis's delighted screams echoing from within and leaned against the wall outside, pulling out my phone to glance at the wallpaper.

A photo of Kira looking at her new phone with awe and innocence. Her beauty, her simplicity, everything about her captured my heart in ways I couldn't describe.

My life was fucking complicated. Here I was, making someone else's dreams come true, while the person I truly loved was out there, possibly feeling neglected and unloved by me.