Chapter 71

Angela's pov
"Hi are you okay?" I ask her.
"Hi sorry to disturb you at this hour sweetie but is erm Tim around? I think that was his name." She says apologetically.
"He is but he's asleep. Are you okay?"
"I just couldn't sleep till I knew if this lovely, kind, beautiful woman was okay. I spoke to her earlier on" she says worriedly.
"I'm sorry I don't understand. Do you need me to call someone for you? Do you know Tim?" I ask her slightly worried in case she's confused.
"No I don't know him but the woman I was just on about told me that he was a dear friend of hers and that if I needed anything to let him know. She said he's one of the very best. A sergeant I think she said. I was hoping he knew how she was. She looked lost and she was bleeding" she says
Wait. Is she talking about Lucy. Surely not. This way too much of a coincidence for it not to be Lucy.
"Come in, have a seat. I'll make you a coffee." I say as i gesture her in. She comes in so I close the door behind her and put the kettle on.
"Sorry I didn't catch your name petal?"  She asks.
"It's Angela. I'm a detective. So you're safe here don't worry, I will just wake Tim up for you. What's your name?" I ask.
"It's elsie" she smiles as she sits down.
"Tim hey, I need you to wake up for me." I say to him he immediately jumps up.

Tims pov
I hear Angela telling me to wake up. I instantly jump up. "Have we found her?!" I say hopeful. But as I sit up I see this elderly woman sat on the sofa opposite me. I don't recognise her.
"Tim this is Elsie, she came asking for you" Angela says as she walks back into the kitchen.
"Sorry, I was asleep. I don't mean to sound rude but do I know you? Are you okay? I'm Tim Bradford by the way." I say smiling at her.
"I know petal, as I was saying to Angela just now that I was told about you from a dear friend of yours. I met her earlier as I was walking up the little pathway behind yours. She told me that if I had any issues, sweetheart, that you was the very best. She seemed very fond of you" she says smiling and just then Angela walks over and hands Elsie the coffee and sits next to me.
"I'm sorry, can you be more clearer on who she was and what was said?" I ask her. I knew it was Lucy. I just couldn't get my hope up.
"Of course hun, now as I say she was walking past. She seemed in a world of her own but she had this sadness about her, this look of being lost, unsure where to turn to. She seemed scared, maybe not of someone but something. I approached her and asked if she was okay. Now we talked for a while. I noticed she was bleeding from her stomach, she told me she had surgery recently and stitch came undone. She would go to the hospital but I couldn't settle till I knew she was safe. Hence why i came over. I'm so sorry it's late. I don't want to intrude but is she okay?" She says sweetly.
I look at Angela. And then I look back at Elsie.
"I can't go into it too much with us both being officers but she is currently classed as missing, she walked out of the hospital, took out her IV. Now I really could do with knowing what you talked about? To see if there's any indication of where she was heading or how her head was at"
"Oh I'm so sorry, if I'd known petal I'd have called sooner. She looked so lost, she had this pain in her eyes, this sadness. It was a conflicted look. I've seen it before with my grandson who sadly committed but I'd mentioned my grandson to her. She explained how she'd been there where he was, and why he found it hard to reach out. She promised she would keep going. She said she was going to the hospital to me." She says sadly.
"No don't blame yourself, you wasn't to know and I am so sorry for your loss" I say glancing at Angela briefly "Angela can you ask Grey to get officers to check all the local hospitals for me." Then I look back at Elsie. "May I ask what she said about how it made her feel when she was in that place? I understand it's invasive but she likes to appear strong, she finds it almost impossible to be vulnerable around anyone" i say looking at her. I hear Angela radioing Grey in the other room.
"Yeah of course, she said that it wasn't that she didn't trust anyone or anything like that. She felt as though the pain unbearable to the point you can't see a way out. But hun the one thing she seemed adamant about she has this fear that she will be seen as weak and as a burden." She says.
"Thank you, and thank you so much for coming and checking on her. I don't want to keep you here when it's so late, there's an officer outside he will walk you home my orders. I need to find her" i say as I stand up.
Elsie immediately pulls me for a hug. "That woman, she was ever so lovely and kind, I could tell she has a great smile but she spoke to fondly of you. That woman loves you, don't let her go" she says as she kisses me on the cheek.
"Thank you. I needed to hear that. And she has the prettiest smile" I say as I show her my Lock Screen on my phone which is that same photo I have on my beside table. The one where it was the day I asked Lucy to be my girlfriend. I've picked her up, my arms wrapped around her, her arms around my neck. We both have the biggest smile and we're touching noses and looking straight into each others eyes. I just stare at it remembering that day like it was yesterday, how happy we both was, how content, id do anything for us to go back to that day.
"That's a beautiful smile she has. Look after yourself and please let me know when she's home safe" she says she turns to leave.
"I will do, thank you again" I say i wave her off.