63. ~ Entitle

Time: 12:33 pm.
Setting: Starbucks Coffee.

Michael: What the hell was that? (looks to Calum) He's not normally like that. Is there something I missed?

Luke: Well, Gemma is back.

Michael: (eyes wide) Oh, shit.

Calum: (calm, covering for Ashton's bad attitude) He's just moody.

Luke: (scoffing) 'Moody'. He's not pregnant.

Calum: (snaps) Of course, he isn't! (angry, sarcasm) Oh, wait. That's his ex-wife who's carrying the child of his ex-best friend! (glares at Luke) Can't imagine how that would make someone moody.

Luke: (quiets, somber) Maybe I should apologize.

Calum: (serious) You should. Ashton doesn't take well to being scolded or yelled at. (pauses, seems to realize something) Wait. What day is it?

Michael: The third.

Calum: Shit. (face palms) That would explain the moodiness. (starts walking towards the door)

Luke: (gets up, worried) What's wrong?

Calum: (stern) Stay here. I'll go check him.

Luke: But I-

Calum: (firm) I'm his best friend.

Luke: (eyebrows furrow, mad) I fucking know but that doesn't mean that he can't be friends with me, too.

Calum: (scoffs) Someone that makes him run off crying? Some 'friend'.

Luke: (pursing lips, huffs) He's never going to learn if you keep sheltering his like a child. He's allowed to have another best friend. You treat him like he's twelve when he's twenty-two. You're crippling him.

Calum: (snaps, death glare) Just because Ashton's told you his sob story doesn't mean you two know everything about each other. (takes one step towards them, stops) He's my best friend. For every sleepover you've had in the last few months, I've had ten times as many. You've seen him break once. I've had to deal with it for years. (fierce) He's fragile, broken and every other related word you can find in the fucking thesaurus. You think he acts like a child because he wants to? It's because he has to. The horrors of the outside world have always been too much for him to handle. (starting to tear up) Fuck, just going to college was a big step for him. Ashton has had way more to deal with in his life than any other fucking person in this fucking resort, including his fucking wife who had to fucking deal with losing her baby. So, stop giving him shit for something he can't control. It's not his fault that he's like this. (quieter) To think he's even...(shakes head, sober) I'll go check on him.

Luke: (shocked, hands clenched, watches Calum exit) Fucking hell...

Michael: (places a gentle arm on Luke's wrist) Bro...

Luke: (pulls hand away slowly, starts heading towards the door) I'll see you later, Mikey.

QOTD: What is Calum to Ashton? Why is he so protective? What do Cake think of each other?