Chapter 54

Mishal

Soft sobs and murmurs echoed in the grieving silence of the room. Women reciting Quran and some recitng the Kalima on the dried seeds of dates filled the room. While few others gossiped in hushed voices but it reached my ears.

I sat silently, drowned in the sea of thoughts. Everyone around me was unaware of what had happened. Mafia was a cruel world, and it was necessary to maintain secrecy. No one could find out the real cause of the death. It might give rise to investigations.

I had been so wrong about him. I sighed as I stared at the Janaza. A few men entered the room and lifted the janaza. I shut my eyes tightly, trying to get hold of myself. I was still in a state of denial. I was trying to grasp the events that occurred on that fateful day. A few women started wailing when the men carried away the Janaza. I looked at them with distaste because I was aware none of them had any soft spot for him; still, they were acting as if they had lost their beloved.

Kashish, who sat beside me, pressed my shoulder, and I looked up at her. There was so much in common between her and me. We shared some time with him, yet none of us knew him. I had never met or spoken to her before and couldn't come up with anything to say.

"Suleiman told me a lot of things about you," she said with a sad smile.

I just nodded at her, not understanding what reply to give her.

"Mishal," Wardah called me.

I looked at her. She was standing near the stairs. I got up from where I was sitting on the carpet, excusing myself from Kashish, and walked to Wardah.

"What happened?" I asked her

"Manha is not eating anything," she said in a hushed voice.

I decided to adopt Manha because she didn't have any other immediate relatives, and the guilt of killing her father kept tugging at my heart. Whatever happened was not her fault, and I didn't want a child to suffer for her father's wrongdoing.

"Mishy, you are needed," Di announced as she approached Wardah and me.

"Manha is not eating, Di," I said to her.

"She will take some time to adjust," Di replied, "You look exhausted. You should take a rest," she added in concern.

"What about Manha?" I asked.

"Dont worry. We can manage her," Di assured, and I looked at her gratefully.

She and Wardah had been a great help the past few days. I wouldn't have been able to hold myself if not for them. The past few days had been hard for everyone, it was not easy for any of us, but we were trying our best to be strong and be there for each other.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I entered the room, and my eyes fell on Salahuddin, sitting on a chair beside the bed on which Suleiman had been lying in a coma for the past three days. Salahuddin looked at me and stood up from the chair, "How did everything go?" He asked.

"Everything went as smoothly as possible. No one suspected anything," I replied as I walked to the bed and halted beside it, and brushed Suleiman's hair aside from his forehead.

"You didn't have to do it," Salahuddin said.

I knew Salahuddin was not happy with me making arrangements for Armaan's funeral, but I had done everything for Manha. I felt guilty because I took away a child's father, but I had no choice. If I had spared Armaan'a life, he would have kept destroying the lives of others. Men like him didn't deserve to live, and I ensured he wouldn't harm anyone.