Chapter 19

Thanks, Ishita for this edit 😘

Mishal

   I have been staying at Zaman's for the last three days. Today was Sidrah's mehndi ceremony. Ushna and I had gone through today's preparations with the wedding planner. Wardah was getting more and more upset about the idea of her sister leaving after the wedding.

   The two sisters were crying their eyes out missing their parents. I was feeling sad for Wardah, she would be alone after Sidrah's wedding. Salahuddin is usually busy with operations of the syndicate. Being the right-hand man of Suleiman he had a lot of responsibilities.

  "Why don't Salahuddin get married?" I asked Sidrah during lunch.

   I have been wondering about this in the past few days. Suleiman and Salahuddin were the same age. It was time he should start thinking about getting married and settling down.

   "Do you think any girl with a right mind would want to marry him?" Wardah asked with a roll of her eyes.

   I noticed Ushna shift on her chair around the dining room," There are quite a few pretty girls in your family. He can marry any of them, " I suggested.

   "Yeah, our aunt has been pressing him to marry one of her daughters," Sidrah replied.      Ushna choked on the juice she was drinking and I looked at her surprised. She had been acting differently lately. I couldn't place a finger on it but I was sure something was different.

     "What did he say to her?" Ushna asked, trying to act indifferent.

   "He says nothing, I don't think he even wants to get married. He only lives for Vipers. I mean, no disrespect but Wardah and I used to joke that he and Suleiman Bhai are married," Sidrah mocked.

    I can't disagree with her. Suleiman spent more time with Salahuddin than he ever spends with me. They both are always together, sometimes I felt jealous of Salahuddin.

    I had met Suleiman only a couple of times in the last three days and that too just for a few minutes. I was busy with the wedding preparations. He used to visit Mama once daily at lunch. Mama looked pleased to spend time with everyone again. By the glint in her eyes, it was evident she was enjoying the pre-wedding festivities.

   I was getting ready for the ceremony in Sidrah's room when I received a call from Di. She is invited to today's function along with her in-laws. I couldn't hear her voice due to the chatter of the girls in Sidrah's room. I walked into the hallway and stood near a window overlooking the lawn where the ceremony was arranged.

   I saw Salahuddin and Ushna standing in the middle of the lawn. Ushna was all dressed up in her heavy Lehenga. By the expression on their faces, they both looked like they were into a heated argument with each other. Ushna said something to Salahuddin and he pulled her close holding her arm.