Chapter 3

Thanks @ishita_0081 for the beautiful edit

Mishal

I was sitting in the room that had been set for me in the Alibaugh mansion of Suleiman Khan. He had decided that the wedding would take place in Alibaug, and he was not in the habit of hearing a no. Dad was not convinced about this arrangement, but Suleiman had said strictly that he would get married only in his territory. 

Dad didn't have any choice than to agree with him. Suleiman did not want to risk his or any family member's life by bringing them into another territory, even if it was an ally. It didn't matter to me much, where I was going to get married. This marriage was a contract for Suleiman Khan. He had made it quite clear on the night of our engagement. 

The past month was a blur for me. I don't know how I have managed everything from shopping for my wedding to visit the salon for a makeover. Di had been at my side all through this. I don't think I could have managed anything without her. She had been my strength in the toughest times of my life, and I was truly grateful to her. 

We arrived in Alibaug late in the afternoon. The families of our close relatives had come along with us. The mansion was big enough to accommodate nearly a hundred guests. For those who didn't get rooms in the mansion, their stay was arranged in a nearby Hotel. 

Aminah, who was Suleiman's sister, greeted us on our arrival along with Salahuddin. There was no sign of Suleiman and his brother, Osman. His absence was a relief for me. I don't think I had the courage to face him so soon.

He hadn't tried to contact me after the engagement. Not even a phone call. It was a business deal for him, which he was going through. 

"Wow, Mishy. This place is so beautiful".

My cousin Zeba walked in, along with the others. They have been on a tour of the estate. 

I forced a smile on my face. Mom and Di had warned me not to show my resentment towards this marriage in front of anyone. I was meant to put on the show of a happy bride for both the Shah and Khan families. 

"I can't believe she is so lucky. Suleiman is so hot, " Rida, who was my aunt's daughter, exclaimed. 

I barely controlled the words, which were on the tip of my tongue for Rida to marry Suleiman herself, if she finds him so enticing. I agree that Suleiman Khan was hot as hell but it didn't mean I was lucky. 

Tonight was my Haldi ceremony. ( The Haldi ceremony is a ritual, which is one of the pre-wedding ceremonies in India. Turmeric (Haldi), oil, and water are applied to the bride by married women. It is organized three to five days before the wedding.) Mine was arranged five days prior. After this ceremony, the bride was not allowed to leave her room, and any male member of her family other than her father and brother were not allowed to meet her. It was believed, the longer the bride stayed confined to her room, the more glow she would have on her wedding day.