Chapter 32

Mishal

Mishal

The doctor was busy telling Suleiman and me how he had seen improvement in Mama's condition. He was pleased that Mama was willing to fight and come back to life. He explained to us in her condition, it wouldn't be possible for her to walk, but she could make slight movements of her fingers. She might be able to move her head a bit or might start speaking a few words. 

I had accompanied Suleiman for Mama's monthly check-up at the hospital. It took hours to go through all the tests and to wait for the reports. We were assembled in the doctor's cabin and listening to him give us a detailed account of her improvement. 

"If you don't mind, will you accompany me," the doctor stood up from his seat and walked towards a door to an adjoining room, and we both followed him. 

The room was comparatively small to his cabin. Mama was present in the room along with Rashmi. The doctor halted beside her wheelchair and motioned Suleiman to kneel in front of her wheelchair. When Suleiman did as the doctor instructed, the doctor lifted Mama's hand and placed it in Suleiman's hand. Every person in the room had their eyes fixed on her hand. 

I felt my heart rate increase, and after what felt like hours, I finally noticed it. If my eyes had not been fixed on Mama's hand, I might have missed it. It was a mere movement of her thumb and finger, and I doubt Suleiman even noticed it. 

"She moved her fingers!" I exclaimed in joy. 

I couldn't believe it. In the past five months, I spent with Mama.  I had never seen her make any movement. Suleiman's eyes shot up to mine. He looked at me in disbelief. I knew that he wouldn't even have noticed her movement. 

I knelt beside him and placed Mama's hand on my head. It was now time for Suleiman's eyes to be fixed on her hand. I was watching his expressions closely. I don't know how much time passed, but then I noticed it. The change in Suleiman's expression, his eyes widened just for a mere second, and I even saw moisture in it, or maybe it was my imagination. 

The next second, Suleiman pulled Mama's hand and kissed it. I could sense how overwhelmed he was, but he was trying hard to keep his composure in front of the doctor and the nurse. 

"We will give you a minute alone," the doctor announced, then left along with Rashmi. 

Suleiman straightened and hugged Mama tightly. I could see Mama's struggle wanting to hug him back but failing. A tear escaped from her eyes. Tears that threatened to come out of my eyes for the past few minutes cascaded down my cheeks. 

Suleiman looked up to me with his hands still wrapped around Mama's shoulders. I smiled at him with teary eyes, and he returned the smile with one of his. I looked at him, mesmerized. I could never have imagined someone who never smiled could have such a beautiful smile. Maybe this was the reason he seldom smiled. 

"Thanks, Mishal," Suleiman looked at me with his eyes filled with gratitude. 

My heart swelled with pride. Suleiman acknowledged Mama's improvement was because of me. The joy I felt at that moment at Suleiman's appreciation for my efforts was something I could never describe in words. I wanted to imprint this moment in my memory forever.