Chapters 27

Thanks, Ishita for this beautiful edit

Mishal

I left the party early and didn't care to wait for Suleiman. I knew he was going to be furious about me leaving but it was too much for me to handle. Wardah and I had not discussed what happened between her and Huzaifa. The lewd remarks Huzaifa had thrown at me had embarrassed me to the extent that I had avoided discussing anything with Wardah

Abbas dropped me home and I came to our bedroom and changed into a nightgown. Tossing my discarded clothes and jewelry on the floor I left the closet. I was too angry to think about anything other than to shake Suleiman out of his cold shell. This was too much for me to bear, I hadn't signed up for all of the baggage that came with marrying him. Abu wanted me to seduce Suleiman, to get pregnant with his child so that Suleiman kept me and didn't break the peace with the Shahs. Suleiman on the other hand was least interested in me.

I was standing in front of the floor-to-ceiling window looking out on the ocean when Suleiman entered the bedroom. From his facial expressions, he was looking wearied, there was nothing new about it. He seemed to carry that expression whenever I was around him.

"Fucking nuisance, " he called out from the cupboard.

I was startled. What could have made him curse? Maybe because of my clothes and jewelry lying on the floor. Suleiman was a very organized person and didn't like any kind of a mess.

"Mishal, come here," he called out.

I was not in the mood to entertain him and obey his command. Hence I ignored his call and stayed on the spot near the window.

"Mishal," he called out again, his voice holding a note of frustration this time.

I kept ignoring him but the next moment the door of the closet closed with a loud bang. I jumped on the spot startled by the loud noise. Then turned and looked at Suleiman who was standing outside the closet glaring at me with his cold eyes.

"What the fuck is your problem? Didn't you hear me call you?" He growled.

"I did, but I didn't choose to answer your call," I replied in a cold voice.

Two can play at this game if he could behave coldly towards me, I could do that too. Suleiman would have to earn my obedience; he can't expect me to follow all his commands blindly. I was my own person and I was tired of being told what to do.

Abu and Suleiman need to understand that I was not a puppet to dance to their tunes. I was not going to give them the satisfaction of being in command. I was going to fight back and I was going to get my rights.

"What is your problem?" Suleiman asked, glaring at me.

"You, you are my problem. I am sick of your cold behavior. I am sick of you instructing me what to do and what not to do. I am a living person Suleiman and not a doll whom you have acquired to flaunt as a trophy," I lashed out at him.