Chapter 51

Suleiman

The sound of the gunshots startled everyone. If Diablo was double-crossing, then we were fucked. Only a miracle could get us out of this place alive. My first instinct was to grab Mishal's arm, who was looking bewildered by the firing outside.

"What's going on?" Yahya was the first to come out of the initial shock.

Junaid contacted the guards outside through the blue tooth. "I think they are dead," he said after a few moments.

"We need to take cover. Whoever the assailants are, we will need to hold them till backup arrives," Huzaifa said.

Salahuddin grabbed Wardah's arm while she was doing well to compose herself. I looked at Salahuddin. From his expression, it was clear he didn't trust Diablo a bit. 

"Hide," Junaid announced.

"Everyone, disperse," Huzaifa commanded.

"If this is your plan, Diablo," Salahuddin growled.

He had given voice to my doubts; Huzaifa couldn't be trusted. It could be their plan, and it wouldn't have mattered if it were just Salahuddin and me, but now we had Wardah and Mishal to protect.

"All our lives are on the line. I fucking don't know what's going on. If you want to stay alive, then hide," Huzaifa hissed and gestured for Yahya and Junaid to take cover.

I pulled Mishal along with me towards the inner side of the warehouse while Salahuddin walked in the opposite direction with Wardah.

"What's going on?" Mishal asked, terrified.

"I don't know. It could be Diablo or perhaps someone who wants us all dead," I replied, taking cover behind some huge containers.

"Huzaifa could have killed us if he wanted. Why all this drama? He doesn't look like a backstabber," Mishal said.

I regarded her, was she defending Huzaifa? And if she was, then why? Was I missing something?

"We can't say what diabolical plans go on in his head," I replied.

Heavy footsteps sounded in the silence of the warehouse. I wondered who the person could be. Nicholas was out of the picture, then who would want us dead? Some family of the east? They indeed hated Huzaifa, and it wouldn't harm them to get rid of Salahuddin and me. That would be a bonus if they were eyeing the west coast.

"Suleiman," Mishal grabbed my jacket, terrified when a shot got fired.

"I won't let anything happen to you, Pigeon," I assured her, patting her cheek.

Mishal kept staring into my eyes with her doe eyes full of terror. She was distracting me, and it could prove fatal for us both. I had only two guns with me, and Salahuddin had two. From the sounds of the footsteps, I guessed they were nearly ten to fifteen men, and we were just five, and that too with not enough ammo and two women on our hands.

I didn't even want to think what could happen if they killed us and got their hands on Mishal and Wardah. They both had put us all in a grave situation. Our best shot was Huzaifa's back up arrived soon.

I made Mishal hide behind some huge barrels while I stood a few feet away from where she was hiding, waiting for the men to come to this spot so I could kill them. The sound of shots getting fired echoed constantly from both sides.

A bullet hit the container mere inches beside me, and I took a step back. I looked in the direction from where the shot was fired, and two more bullets grazed past me in succession.

Motherfucker.

I dropped to my haunches to dodge the bullets and fired at the man from behind a barrel. The bullet hit him square in his head, and he fell to the ground.