Chapter 43

Suleiman

  I sent Scarlett back the following day. I never regretted any decision more than I regretted sending her away. But keeping her would have resulted in nothing because she was not ready to leave Nicholas. I couldn't understand why she wanted to stay with someone who wasn't loyal to her.

Scarlett claimed she loved me, but I doubted it because if she loved me truly, then she wouldn't have had any problem leaving Nicholas. The pent-up anger inside me had only one vent out, and that was the destruction of Nicholas Periera. I left no stone unturned to destroy the Perieras. As time passed, my anger and hate towards Nicholas kept on increasing.

I took over two-thirds of their business and operations, and still, it didn't help the inferno of rage within me. Nicholas still had Scarlett. She was with him, she had chosen him over me, and that thought didn't let me sleep at night. I tried not to think about her, but it was nearly impossible. The moment my head hit the pillow, her memories crawled into my mind. I couldn't fathom the feeling of her soft body against mine. My hands craved to touch her, to feel her smooth skin under the rough pads of my fingers.

Salahuddin noticed the change in my demeanor, and it didn't take any time for that asshole to guess it was because of Scarlett. He advised me to get rid of Nicholas. Then there would be no reason for Scarlett not to marry me. I would have given it a thought if I didn't know that she would hate me more than anything if I forced her to be with me.

I wanted Scarlett to come to me of her free will, she was not the kind of woman to submit, and I liked her that way. It was her fierceness that had attracted me. She was my captive. Still, she had never shown any sign that she was afraid of me. Scarlett had been cautious around me in the start but never scared.

Days passed into months and months into a year, but my desire for her only never subsided. I came across Scarlett at a few parties. She was there with Nicholas. I noticed that she looked different than before.  Her skin had paled, and those doe eyes had lost the glint. She had lost the spark that separated her other women.

Scarlett ignored me on all occasions, and I ensured to stay away from her. If she wanted me or loved me, then she would never have gone back to that fucker. I learned that Nicholas had changed his whoring ways. He was trying to change himself for Scarlett, which was good for her because she deserved to be treated like a Queen.

A year and a month must have passed since I sent Scarlett back when I heard the news of her death. It utterly shattered me to know she was no more and had taken her life. I couldn't believe Scarlett could be such a coward. She had chosen death over me. How could she take her own life? I would have done everything to make her mine if only she had let me. My anger had no end, I wanted to destroy everything, and most importantly, I wanted to annihilate Nicholas.

I went to his mansion, not caring if he might kill me, but what I found there shocked me. Nicholas was alone in the mansion with Scarlett's body in a coffin. He lay beside the coffin in a drunken state.

The sight was enough to wrench my guts. I pulled Nicholas up to his feet, and he punched me hard in the face.

"You bastard, how dare you to step foot in here," he yelled.

"You need to bury her," I caught his hand mid-air when he tried to punch me again.

"She killed herself because of you, Suleiman. You are the reason she took her life," Nicholas broke down like a child.

I didn't reply to him and dragged him with me to a bathroom and pushed him into the shower. While Nicholas showered, I called my men to arrange everything for the funeral. Scarlett deserved a burial fit for a queen. Though I hated her for killing herself, I couldn't turn away from her, especially when she needed me. Nicholas was not in himself, and I doubted if left onto him, he would let her body rot than bury her.