Chapter 10

Thanks, Ishita for this amazing edit

Mishal

   I woke up from the sunlight falling on my face. I had not closed the curtain properly last night and now the morning sun was bathing me in its golden glory. I turned to my side and saw Suleiman sleeping on his back on the other end of the bed.

   He might have come home after I had fallen asleep. His one arm was resting around his head on the pillow. I examined him, taking advantage of his sleeping state. His strong arms were visible from his half-sleeved tee, they were heavily muscled and covered in dark hair.

   His broad chest was rising and falling from his breathing. His tee-shirt stretched over his broad shoulders and chest. I looked above at his face, his eyes were closed, and his face looked peaceful while sleeping. It was the least intimidating he had looked since I first saw him at our engagement.

   His scar was a light red color, it started a little above his brow and slanted diagonally to his cheeks running down on the edge of his eye. If the knife had been a millimeter to the left, he would have lost his eye.

   I don't know why but my finger twitched to touch and feel his scar. Curiosity killed the cat, was a well-known phrase, but right now my curiosity got the better of me. I looked at him again to confirm, he was sleeping. When I was sure he was fast asleep I crawled on the bed and leaned over him, kneeling beside him. I slowly moved my hand towards his face, careful not to wake him up.

   The pad of my fingers was about to touch his scar when Suleiman opened his eyes and I found myself on the bed on my back. Suleiman hovered over me, his eyes trying to focus on what was going on.

   "Please don't kill me, please don't kill me, " I pleaded, with my eyes shut tight.

   He had my hands pinned above my head and was straddling my hips. I stayed frozen, with my eyes shut. I could hear his heavy breathing, his breath fanning my face. I slowly opened my eyes after Suleiman stayed hovering over me without moving. Suleiman was looking at me with an unknown expression on his face.

   Our eyes met and I felt the regular chill pass through my spine. He leaned and touched his forehead on mine. We stayed in that position for an unknown amount of time. Suleiman's breathing gradually came back to normal.

   "Don't ever do that again, " he pulled away from me and said, his voice hoarse from sleep.

   I looked at him in askance, not able to understand what he was referring to.

    "My body is trained to eliminate any threat around me. I am a very light sleeper and even the slightest sound and movement tend to awaken me. My first instinct is to terminate the threat. You are lucky, my mind recognized you before my body could hurt you, " he explained, climbing off me.