Chapter 1

Mishal

I walked into the house and met with mouth-watering aromas from the kitchen. I had been starving. The practical exam and viva had taken a lot more time than we had expected. It was the last exam of my first year of software engineering. I hadn't even got time to grab a quick lunch.

We had a one-month break starting from tomorrow, and I was truly excited. I had planned to go to Mumbai with my elder sister Saima. She was married to an MLA who was the son of a Union Minister.

Dad had thought, by marrying my sister into a political family, he could increase his influence in the Mumbai underworld. But his plan had backfired as the Vipers ruled Mumbai with an iron fist. There was no place for a rival gang in Mumbai. Venom had made sure of it.

Jahangir Shah, my father had ruled over Surat for nearly two decades. Still, the lack of a male heir had started showing its effects a few years ago. Other rival gangs, were taking over the territory of Shah's. The vipers had gotten strong in Mumbai and the Shah had weakened with time.

Dad had tried everything he could to keep a hold over Gujarat, and he was failing. The vultures had seen the cracks in the syndicate and had started gathering to feast upon them.

I tossed my bag on the couch in the living room and trotted to the kitchen. Mom and Saima Di (an endearment for older sister) were in the kitchen giving directions to the cook. Saima had been here for a week and was going back after two days. I had planned to go to Mumbai, along with her.

"Is someone coming today?" I asked, looking at the chaos in the kitchen.

The maids and cooks were busy in preparation for what looked like a feast. I don't remember anyone mentioning a gathering to me. It could be because I had been busy with my examination for the last month.

"Look at her, she hadn't been to the salon in months. Her hairs have lost their shine and her skin looks so pale, " mom said, examining me from head to toe.

"I have been telling you to not lose yourself in books. I don't know why you have to be such a nerd, " Di was looking at me with resentment.

My sixth sense started sending signals to my mind. Something was terribly wrong here. Mom had never cared about my lack of visits to salons in the past, nor Di had been worried about me being busy with my studies.

If my mind was right, I was in grave danger. Mostly this kind of episode occurs whenever a girl gets a marriage proposal. I have seen too many Bollywood movies to know about this.

"What's going on?" I asked them with suspicion.

They both passed glances towards each other, trying to decide who was the one to tie a bell around the cat's neck. I narrowed my eyes and scanned their expressions keenly.