Chapter 39

Mishal

The city of Delhi faded as the aircraft rose higher and higher in the sky. This trip proved to be an eye-opener for me. I lost everything there, most notably my self-respect.

Suleiman's and Nicholas's words kept ringing in my mind repeatedly. How easily Suleiman had said that my death wouldn't affect him. The thing most shocking to me was the revelation about Suleiman loving Scarlett.

I understood why he had been so cold towards me. What stopped him from getting close to me? A dead woman held more importance in his life than I ever could. Suleiman Khan would never love me. I was stupid, thinking I might make him fall in love with me.

I didn't speak to him since he rescued me. He had dropped me at the hotel where Huzaifa's doctor tended to me. Suleiman had been gone the whole night, most probably torturing the shit out of Nicholas.

He returned early morning looking exhausted, and informed me that we were leaving for Delhi immediately.  I sat in a corner seat in the aircraft, away from everyone looking out the window. Suleiman was sitting along with Salahuddin and Meer Sikander. I didn't care what they were discussing, but I could notice Suleiman's eyes on me now and again. I didn't even feel like looking at him. This time he had broken my heart beyond repair. I wouldn't be able to gather the pieces and mend them.

It was getting difficult for me with each passing second to keep myself composed. All I wanted to do was cry out because of the enormous amount of pain I was feeling, out. I had loved, and I had lost. I had never imagined loving someone could break me to such an extent. The hurt I was feeling was indescribable, and the amount of my pain was immeasurable.

I was indeed a stupid teenager, as Suleiman had always thought about me. If not, I would have known better not to ever fall in love with a cold man like Suleiman Khan.

Wardah and Ushna tried many times to engage me in a conversation during the flight, but I didn't feel like speaking to anyone and pretended to fall asleep.
We reached Mumbai, with me immersed in my thoughts with my eyes closed. I only realized we had landed when Ushna shook my shoulder and told me we were home. I was the first to get out of the Aircraft. I just wanted to run away from everyone, especially Suleiman.

The moment we reached our penthouse, I shut myself in the bedroom after meeting Mama. The moment her eyes landed on my busted lips and the bruises on my face, she looked distressed. At least someone was there in this golden cage who genuinely loved me, but it was not enough for me. The most desperately I wanted something was for Suleiman to love me, but it would always remain a dream for me. I was running after a mirage. I was no different than Scarlett. Nicholas cheated on her though he loved her. Suleiman was loyal to me, but he didn't love me because Scarlett reigned over his heart.

I was forcing myself to sleep when Suleiman entered our bedroom. I had been awake the whole night, and all I wanted to do now was sleep and forget everything for at least a few hours. I was expecting Suleiman to leave for his office but was surprised when the mattress dipped on the bed behind me. I held my breath, hoping he wouldn't touch me because I knew I wouldn't be able to tolerate his touch even for a moment.

He placed his hand on my shoulder and turned me towards him. I kept my eyes shut, pretending to be asleep. The next moment I felt him caress my face. My insides churned, and I wanted to shove his hand aside, but I didn't want him to know I was awake.

"I know you are awake, Mishal," Suleiman leaned onto me and whispered in my ear.

Suleiman's hot breath fanned my cheek and neck. I stayed immobile, hoping that he might leave. It proved to be my mistake; the next moment, he pressed his lips against my throat, giving me a searing kiss. I fisted the bedsheets holding my breath.