Chapter 6

Thanks, @ishita_0081 for this beautiful edit

Mishal

    I was still trying to wrap my head around the question Suleiman just asked, regarding me being aware of the aspects of consummating a marriage. I was still trying to figure out how to answer his question. I mean, I knew about the consummation of the marriage but never thought I would have a Q&A session with Suleiman on it. 

   Do all the husbands start their wedding night with a question-answer session regarding the consummation of marriage?  I should have asked one of my married cousins, who were close to my age regarding this. 

   "Would you prefer to consummate our marriage today or some other time in the future?" He asked in his intimidating cold voice.

   He was looking at me wearied. Was there an option as such to consummate the wedding later? I mean the whole purpose of Rukhsati and Walima was to confirm that the marriage was performed and consummated successfully.  ( Walima (Arabic: وليمة‎ walīmah), or the marriage banquet, is the second of the two traditional parts of an Islamic wedding. The walima is performed after the nikah (Arabic: نكاح‎) or marriage ceremony.  The Walima is a feast thrown by the groom, to confirm that the marriage was consummated. It was obligatory to arrange a Walima within three days of the consummation of the marriage).

   If Suleiman didn't want to consummate the marriage on the wedding night, it meant that he truly despised me. Our wedding night was just a duty for him, which he was forced to go through with. 

    I didn't want to make it difficult for him. If he didn't find me good enough to sleep with me even on our wedding night, it was a blow that my tender heart could not deal with easily. It was true he was scary as hell, and I couldn't imagine myself getting intimate with him. Still, his lack of interest in me didn't go down well with me. It was not like I was interested in sleeping with him. His detached disposition suited me well. Still, I was a girl and I had some expectations from my husband on our wedding night. 

  "Mishal, I will appreciate it if you would answer my question, " he addressed me in his cold voice again. 

   There was no sign of joy or happiness in his voice or on his face. It was clear that he didn't approve, the lack of my ability to answer him. Suleiman Khan didn't have the habit, nor the patience to wait for anyone to answer him.

  "Mishal."

   I got hold of my fear of Suleiman. If I had to survive with this man, I needed to be strong. I shook my head in a 'no', bottling up my hurt tender feelings. If Suleiman didn't desire me and didn't find me good enough to sleep with, I wouldn't be degrading myself by asking him to consummate this marriage.

  "You want to do it now?" He inquired with a surprise.

  "No, I don't want to do it, " I blurted out.