Chapter 5

Suleiman

I arrived in Alibaug a few hours ago. Salahuddin accompanied Aminah, my younger sister to Alibaugh. He was helping her with the arrangements in Alibaug. Osman and I stayed back in Mumbai. One reason was that the three of us couldn't leave Mumbai for more than a day or two. Any one of us needed to stay in Mumbai, for taking any crucial decision if needed. I had given Salahuddin all authorities to act in my name if I was not in the city.

In the absence of Salahuddin, I needed to stay back. They were not going to need me, until the day before the wedding. There was no sense for me to waste my time in childish pre-wedding festivities. The second reason was Mama. I preferred not to leave her alone with the servants. Though I knew Daaya would take good care of her, I still made sure I or Osman would stay with her. 

Mama was bedridden, she needed a wheelchair all the time. She preferred to sit in the wheelchair than to stay lying in the bed. Mama had been so full of life until Dad was alive. She was fond of Urdu poetry and historical books. Our library was full of books on Poetry and History. I had instructed her nurse to read a few pages of her favorite books daily. I made sure to buy new books for Mama. 

I had promised her before leaving that I would be back in two days. Mama couldn't talk or move. The only sign of life in her body was her breathing and grey eyes which shone whenever she looked at one of her children. I couldn't help but be concerned about how Mishal might act towards Mama. She was too young to accept Mama as her responsibility. I don't think she might have the patience to deal with a paralyzed person. It could only be hoped, she won't act disrespectfully towards my mother, because then no one would be able to save her from my wrath.

" What is the sense of this function?" Salahuddin asked me, as I was getting dressed for my Mehndi function.

" I wish I knew," I replied shrugging my shoulders.

" You both are selfish bastards. You sent me here to deal with all this nuisance, while you stayed in Mumbai and enjoyed all the actions," Salahuddin muttered in annoyance.

Osman, who had been lying on my bed gave Salahuddin a taunting look, " I am feeling jealous of you. I was dealing with the Pereira bastards in Mumbai, while you enjoyed the company of pretty girls here," Osman scoffed.

Salahuddin glared at Osman. I knew girls were the last thing Salahuddin could ever be interested in. The fucker was just two years younger than me and had never been with any woman. I had been like Salahuddin. My whole focus was on the functioning of the syndicate until she came along. She had made me want her, from the moment I had my eyes set on her. 

" I can't believe it, I missed all the fun here. I have never seen so many pretty girls assembled at any place before," Osman looked genuinely upset over the fact that he couldn't enjoy the presence of so many girls.