Chapter 26

Thanks, Ishita for this edit 😘

Mishal

I had drifted out of the hall and to the Veranda in the middle of the house. I had always loved Shahnawaz Bhai's home. It was an ancestral home and they had not altered it much. The Veranda held a beautiful fountain in the middle of the huge pool. I settled on the edge of the pool and stared at the reflection of the moon in the still water. Lotuses bloomed in the pool and the scales of the Koi fished in the fool flashed once in a while as the moon reflected on them. 

   Heartbroken and dejected by my situation in life I was thinking about an exit. I didn't know if I wanted to be in this marriage anymore. My relationship with Suleiman was getting worse with each passing day. There was nothing between us apart from the sexual tension. A sacred bond of marriage, couldn't stand long on mere sexual attraction. It needed more, it needed love and trust which unfortunately was lacking in our relationship. 

I doubted if we could ever be the loving couple type. With Suleiman, it didn't look like a possibility. I had never looked forward to getting married, I had always wanted to build a career for myself. Instead, here I was, married to the coldest man ever. 

Didn't I have anything in my personality that would attract Suleiman towards me? 

Why did he have to be so cold? Why couldn't he feel anything? Did he even have a heart or there was just a slab of ice in its place in his chest? 

Half an hour would have passed since I arrived here when I heard the voice of the anklet bells followed by Wardah strolling out of the hall.  She didn't notice me as she passed through the corridor due to the lack of lights on the veranda and this part of the pool being hidden in shadows. A male figure emerged from the hall after her. I gasped when I realized it was Huzaifa. 

Why was he following Wardah? 

Huzaifa halted in the middle of the corridor and bent and picked up something from the floor. He straightened holding what appeared to be an anklet in his hand, which surely belonged to Wardah. She was the only one wearing it for the sake of Mehfil. I watched anxiously as Huzaifa slipped the anklet into his jeans pocket. 

What was going on? 

Why was Huzaifa keeping Wardah's anklet in his pocket? What had I missed today in my inner turmoil? 

Huzaifa sauntered in the direction where Wardah had gone. I was in a dilemma about whether to follow them or not. I didn't want to have any more encounters with Huzaifa. He was the worst man that I had ever come across and I didn't want anything to do with him after what happened earlier. 

 But I couldn't get rid of the nagging feeling that Wardah was unaware of Huzaifa stalking her. I didn't want to leave her alone with a man like Huzaifa. Though Wardah was brave, she was still a girl and would be no match for Huzaifa's physical strength. What if something wrong happened? There was no one in this part of the house, everyone was present in the hall.