Chapter Thirty Seven

. *Angel*

"But you promised to send me the money last week nau" my sister, whined like a baby as she sat down on the couch beside me. We were I the living room watching TV, I just stared at her.

"But you said yesterday." she said again frowning, and I scoffed. This made her glare at me,

"Ode!" I said and she mouthed fuck you to me. I don't know what the person said to her making her smile,

"Really? Thank you love, I'll be expecting it, thank you" she singed before she hung up.

"Uurgh! That was annoying oh, for common 30 k" she said.

"Was that Daniel? I thought he didn't have any money for now" I asked and she rolled her eyes at me

"Which Daniel again? Actually he gave me money two days ago, so"

"Enh? And what about me?" I asked looking shocked.

"You can call him for yours nau, don't you have his number again?" she said, making me frown, and then she spoke again smiling.

"Anyways, his name is Martins we met at the market, few days back" she said, leaving me dumbfounded

"And what about Ben? The one who's coming to see us today, don't tell me you're cheating on him oh" I said and she rolled her eyes at me

"And I never said I was, this Martins guy is just a friend, who likes to spend by the way" she said winking at me, and then her phone beeped. "Speaking of spend, he just sent the money" she said happily and I shook my head at her.

"Anyways, give me my own share" I said stretching out my hand,

"Sure I will nau, remind me later" she said

"OK oh. But what is taking your guy this long nau? Or is he no longer coming?" I asked

"I don't know oh, lemme give him a call. " she said and started dialing his number.

"I just pray that mummy will like him" I added and she glared at me. Even though it was evident that it bothered her.

"Babe, where are you nau?" she asked, and then her fa e lightened up, "Oh! I'll come out now" she said getting up.

She wore a red top and a black gran, while I wore a simply grey floor-length gown. Her fiance is coming to us today, Daniel has no idea about it by the way, mummy just wants to meet him first.

In no time the door opened and they both walked in holding hands, I won't lie sha, the guy is fine oh. He is fair skin, and had beards the way we girls like it, he wore a black shirt and blazer. And also, he wore red pants, I stood up with a smile on my face.

"Hello, it's nice to finally meet you" I said while shaking his hand, he smiled.

"Same here, I've heard a lot about you and boy the two of you look so much alike" he said, with his cute accent, and did I mention that he's igbo? Mummy would freak.

"Where are my manners? Please sit" I said and he did, Becky sat beside him and I went inside to get my mom.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"So you said your name is what?" Mummy asked, we were all seated in the living room. I sat beside her while Becky sat beside her man.

"Ben Chigozie, ma" he answered respectfully.

"And what do you do for a living? " she asked, the way she was throwing him questioning enh, even I was seated uncomfortably, talk less of him.

"Well I am a bank manager ma"

"And which bank is that? " she asked,

"UBA Bank ma"

"Where is it located?"

"In the mainland ma"

"Do you live with your parents?"

"Actually, no. They reside in Anambra " he said

"Okay, so if it happens that you want to introduce my daughter to them nau, you will take her there to your state abi?"

"Mummy.. " Becky was saying and the glare mom gave her was enough to shut her up.

"Yes ma, but you don't have to worry because she is in safe hands, I promise you that" he said, he was really confident which I admire.

"Hmm, I see. Okay that's good" she said and then she turned to a pissed Becky,

"Anty," She called out to Becky, who just stared at mummy, "Dide kurombe" mummy said In a calm tone and Becky looked unsure whether to do as she was told or not.

"Mummy ejo" I said nudging her a little on the side and she spanked my arm,

"If you dare get involved in this I'll slap you" she said to me and I just gave a large space between the both of us. Make I sha mind my business. "I said get up from there!" she yelled at Becky, who immediately stood up and walked to our side.

"Rada! rada! " mummy said to her and then she turned to a confused Ben. This moment was so embarrassing right now.

"And you Mr. Chidi.. "

"It's Chigozie ma" he corrected innocently and mom lashed out on him,

"Whether it's Chigozi or whatever I don't care, what I know is you will not marry my daughter." Mummy said and Becky wanted to say something but I motioned for her not to.

"If you like, own a bank oh, or have money more than Dangote, you will not marry her over my dead body. Ah! Omo igbo? Lai! lai! " she said.

"But why ma? Why still live in the past when things have gone far? Nobody cares about trybe or whatever these days, I love Becky and... " Ben was saying but mummy cut him off.

"You see this my daughter right here, I did not give birth to her, raise her, and sponsor her to school for an igbo man."

"Mummy.. " Becky whined, but mom only continued

"She will only marry a Conc. Yoruba man. That is our own tradition and she has no right to do otherwise a