Chapter Twenty Two

*Sophia *

If there's any word other than shock, that was what I felt right now, I have never been this disrespected in my life. I sat up and saw myself soaking wet on the bed, I turned to see Mrs. Akindele glaring at me, I immediately stood up.

"What did you do that for?" I asked, frowning while I brought my hair to one side on my shoulder.

"Is that how you were thought to greet?" She asked and I looked at her amused.

"Excuse me? If you wanted me to greet you so badly, you should have just said so, you didn't have splash water on me" I reasoned out and she looked at me from head to toe.

"Listen very carefully madam, you better behave yourself, because this is my house," she said, making me glare at the poor environment I'm in. "And so you will do as I say if you don't want to become homeless "

"I have a house Ma'am, don't threaten me"

"Of course you have a house, but you and I both know that it's no longer a place that you can go back to if you leave your husband" she said and I rolled my eyes at her. "Anyways, it's morning, and in this very house, there are chores to be done, so get yourself prepared, get a broom and start sweeping" she said looking at me.

"Ok, I'm gonna pretend like I didn't hear that" I said, raising my hand up. And she looked furious now.

"Well it's just simple, it's either you help out with the house chores, or you go hungry" she said, and I felt bad in the inside, although I maintained my cool.

"Alright then, eat your food, it's not like I eat what you eat anyways, just know this, don't ever ridicule me the way you did today... " I warned her, but then I was cut off by someone from behind, I turned to see that it was Daniel. He just finished brushing his teath I guess, I know this because he held a toothbrush in his hand.

"What?" he said in a low tone, the look on his face showed that he was hurt. He walked in, and now he was standing in front of us both.

"What did you just say to her Sophie?" he asked and I remained quiet, it's already evident that he's upset and I didn't want to upset him any further.

"This is what I'm talking about Daniel, this girl lacks home training, everything about her is just bad, she just fine, nothing more.. " his mom was saying but he cut her off

"Mummy please, I'll handle this, please no insults" he said raising his hand up.

"You better. Make sure you put her in her place" she said the last part glaring at me, and then she left the room, shutting the door behind her.

"Why all of this Sophie? I can't believe you had the audacity to speak to my mother like that" he said, and I pushed back some strands of my hair on my face. "I can understand that you hate me, and that's why you treat me badly, but my mother? That's just going to far" he said, and I stopped myself from saying anything.

"Let this be the last time you do this... " he was saying pointing his finger at me, and I retorted back.

"Oh come on Daniel, that's enough! I'm tired of your scolding ok? How can you just judge me without getting to know what actually happened here... "

"She's my mother Sophie!" he yelled and I looked away, while folding my arms. "Whatever she did wrong, it doesn't give you the liberty to speak to her that way. Things that no one in this entire neighbourhood dares to do, you did it so comfortably, and you're not even remorseful about it" he said, looking surprised at me.

"You better get this, you can treat me wrong, and I won't mind but don't you ever misbehave with my mother again, do you understand that? We're Yorubas and so are you, the one thing that we love is respect, so see to it that you give her that, I don't care wether you are happy about it or not." he finished and I just stared at him blankly.