Chapter Thirty Nine

*Daniel *

We talked for quite a while, I told her everything and how I got married to the love of my life, she kept asking questions where there was any, she offered me a drink and some snacks. She did mention how disappointed she was that I hid such a thing from her, and I apologised for it again. I didn't know why she was so affected by it? Why did she care so much?

After that, we watched a horror movie and talked about random stuffs.

"I quit my job this morning" I said out of the blue and she sat up straight, with shock evident in her face.

"What? Why?" she asked and I shrugged

"I just couldn't take it anymore, you know. I got tied of his bulls hits and so I called it quits" I said and she still looked shocked.

"But you know you now have a wife to take care of right? And looking at her, she's not someone to settle for less"

"Well she's gonna have to cope for the mean time, at least until I get a better job." I said

"This is not how these things works Daniel, you just told me that you warned her not to work with Teddy anymore. So what do you think will happen when she finds out that you are jobless now?" she asked

"Maybe you're forgetting that I'm her husband, and she has no choice but to obey me" I said and she glared at me.

"Oshey Mr husband, you that I know. I'm sure you can't even order her around anyhow, she go break your head" she said making me to laugh.

"Wow! Is that how you see me? As a weakling?"

"No, you are not a weakling, you are not just tough enough when it comes to her. You are too soft, and that's probably because you are blinded by the love you have for her" she said, and I was speechless.

"And how can you conclude that? You haven't even seen us together or something"

"I don't have to, from all you've just told me, it's obvious that's how things are. And you should change that seriously," she said and then she sipped her juice.

We didn't say anything to each other for a while, it was almost 5 pm and I decided to take my leave, I didn't want to be home late.

"I have to go Vera, I need to take care of something"

"Oh OK," she said while standing up, and so did I. She walked me to the door and a thought crossed my mind.

"What is it? I'm sure you want to say something" she said and I chuckled

"Actually, I wanted to tell you that I would love to give it a shot" I said and she frowned,

"Give what a shot?" she asked still looking confused, and then she realised what I meant. "If you're talking about the competition then I'm sorry Daniel, there are no more slots available. You wasted time" she said, and I felt heartbroken, I simply nodded.

"OK then, I should have agreed to it a long time ago but I hesitated. And now that I feel like I have something to prove to myself, my chances of doing that is gone" I said and she stared at everywhere else but at me.

"I'm sorry Daniel " she said and I shook my head

"It not your fault, I was just being stupid. Anyways there's always next year right?" I said with a small smile and she smiled back, I looked at the time on my phone. "I have to go" I said

"Alright Daniel " she said, we gave each other a hug and then I left.

*Vera *