Chapter Thirteen

* Sophia *

My father was doing things that I never imagined he'll do, and because of that, I didn't know how to react to the situation. Daniel is actually sitting in my living room looking so handsome, he always knows how to impress me. But how can dad tell Daniel that I'm pregnant? This is so embarrassing, although it's pretty clear that he's testing my boyfriend, and surprisingly he passed, I guess. Because now, dad just broke the news to him that he's going to get us married today. I want to be happy but I can't because the wedding is not going to happen the way I imagined. I just want the ground to swallow me right now.

"Sir, I don't think I understand what you... " Daniel was saying but dad cut him off,

"Oh come on Daniel, I'm sure you do, haven't you heard the word marriage before?" dad asked, as he relxed back on the couch. "You said it yourself that you love my daughter, so what is the problem here?" dad asked,

"Of course I love Sophie, and I would love to marry her" Daniel said, looking at me, it seems that he has a problem with what dad said, well who wouldn't? "it's just that I'm... " he was saying, but then he paused, making me look confused.

"Go on, you are what?" dad said so calmly, the air condition was on but I tell you Daniel was starting to Sweat. He looked... defeated.

"What's wrong Daniel? " I asked this time. Daniel just stared down at his hands, he sighed and ran a hand through his hair. Dad stood up and took some documents on the table.

Apparently, a lawyer brought a marriage certificate a while ago before Daniel got here, dad already planned everything out, which was very surprising. And he is totally serious about getting me married to the love of my life. Dad handed the documents to Daniel, who reluctantly took them, he gave Daniel a pen, I've already signed mine by the way.

"Sign the papers Daniel," dad said, he was standing in front of Daniel, but Daniel was still reluctant, making dad sigh. "She's not pregnant okay? " this made Daniel shook his head in denial.

"It's not about the pregnancy Sir, like I said, I don't have a problem with it" he said,

"Yeah, I know what you said, but I'm just telling the truth here. I only said that because I wanted to see how brave you are. Many would deny it right away, but you didn't, and it proves that you truly love my daughter. And so, you both have my blessings" dad said, this made Lillian smile. Enough Lillian, he hasn't signed the papers yet, Daniel stood up, few inches away from dad.

"Thank you very much Sir, but I'm sorry, I can't do this" he said, everyone was surprised, except for dad. Daniel turned to me "I'm sorry Sophie " was all he said to me, enough for a tear to drop, please don't do this to me.

"And why not? If it's because of your mother, you don't have to worry about her, I'll take care of everything" dad said, and Daniel looked shocked. Dad continued, by answering our questions, "What? You thought that I'll let my daughter marry a total stranger without a proper background check up? "

"I know everything about you Daniel, I did my research about you the day you came here to look for my daughter. I know all the school you went to, how you lived with your mother and your younger sisters, I know where you work and everything else I need to know, and most importantly, I know that you are a good person, and so that's why I plead with you to sign these papers" Dad said, he has never begged anyone before, ok except for me. And that's usually when he asking me to be good always, and I already know about Daniel's family, although I'm yet to meet them. Daniel smiled,

"That's really impressive Sir, and since you have made your research, you now also know  what I actually do for a living." Daniel said, what is he talking about? "My question is, why would you still want me to marry your daughter even when you are aware of my job? "  he asked,