Chapter Eighteen

*Daniel*

"Wait, I didn't catch that, you said what?" I asked again and she chuckled,

"I said nice voice" she said so casually, "What? You don't believe me?" She asked, she didn't even wait for my reply, and then she went to the computer, and played the song.

I was in total shock, is that really my voice? I couldn't believe it, I was so amused right now, but still I felt that the song was not good enough, and then she paused it. She looked at me with a smile on her face.

"That was... " I started, not knowing what to say and then she spoke,

"Amazing!" she said and I frowned, she removed her glasses, "You are going to be in the competition this year right? You will definitely win!" she exclamained excitedly.

"Ok just stop it Vera!" I said getting annoyed, "Everyone knows that I'm not talented, so why lie to me about it?" I asked, and she looked confused

"I'm sorry, am I missing something here?" She asked, "Whoever told you that your singing is bad? That person must be really foolish because what I just heard is pure talent, and there's no sound effects or anything oh" she said looking dead serious.

I scratched my head abruptly and sat down on a red Sofa. I didn't know what to think anymore, I noticed that she sat beside me.

"What happened Daniel?" She asked and I just stared at nothing, "Please talk to me, why would you think that you weren't good enough for the competition? How can you just conclude that you will lose without even giving it a shot?" she asked and I just smiled, realising that I've been fooled all these while.

"Ha ha ha, what is this? Don't ever sing again Daniel " Teddy said,

"Guy commot for that place abeg" Mike said,

"Ha ha ha, You're funny sha" Jaff said, and so said the rest of the crew memebers, I just stood there, while they all laughed.

It just hit me that Vera wasn't at work that day when I was humiliated, I guess she didn't know what happened that day. I quickly held back the tears that were about to fall, why did they make me believe that I was terrible with my singing when it's all I had?

"Are you going to say something or what?" Vera asked, bringing me out of my thoughts, I stood up.

"Uhm, it's nothing, I just didn't think that I was good enough that's all" I said and she raised an eyebrow at me.

"Are you sure about that?" She asked and I nodded. "Great!" she said and I smiled "you are definitely going to be in the competition!" she declared and my smile fell.

"Look Vera, I appreciate the fact that you think my music is good... "

"I don't just think, I know it's great! And there's no doubt that you will win, I'll make sure of that" she said

"I don't have the intention to be a part of it, I already have a lot planned out for the rest of the year so... " I stopped talking cause she was looking like me like I was just blabbing.

"And what exactly are you going to do for the rest of the year?"

"A lot actually," I said and then I thought of something, "Why do you want me to do it?" I asked

"because I know you can do this" she said looking at me straight in the eyes.

"Are you trying to help me just because you want to get back at Teddy for breaking up with you?" I asked and I could tell that she was hurt by what I said.