՞՞175՞՞

My eyes widened when I saw the massive belly of the bearded dragon. She'd been hungry the whole time, they hadn't fed her even once after bringing her home. Maybe that was why I could see a huge difference from the last time I saw her.

"She's not fat.. c'mon..." I was lying to myself with those words. She was definitely and visibly fat.

"What? She looks like she swallowed the entire Jupiter as a whole!" Nick was trying to inspect the lizard that was on her back in his hand, blinking lazily.

"Maybe she's just pregnant.." Clay was barely holding back a laugh and I hate him for that.

Nick froze in his spot, eyes concentrated on Clay all of a sudden. Then slowly his mouth parted.

"What did you do to her?"

That's when Clay lost it and started wheezing while telling Nick that he's an idiot for thinking such a thing. But I guess Nick took everything way too seriously.

"You can't fuck everything named Lizzy, what is wrong with you!?"

Nick's voice cracked when he said those words, which made the whole experience way funnier than it had to be. I can't tell if he's being serious or not, but Clay is busy wheezing instead of telling the truth.

Fortunately, George came out of the house. He had an empty bucket in his hands. It used to be filled with mealworms- well, a few of them, cause we spilled the rest. But now as I look at it, there are no mealworms inside.

"Where is her food?" George sounded way more serious than all of us. It was quite scary to say the least.

And then it clicked. Nick widened his eyes once again, looking at the fat lizard and the empty bucket, drawing parallels between the two. And George saw the lizard's tummy for the first time.

"How many mealworms did I tell you to give her?" George clenched his jaw, looking at me.

"Like ten..?" I'm sure the guilt in my eyes was adamant.

"Did she eat a whole fucking bucket of them?" The veins on George's temples were starting to pop out even though his voice wasn't that loud.

And Clay is still wheezing. Harder and harder with every remark.

"No, the bucket flipped over and the worms spilled.. and there were a few of them left. She might've ate them.."

I couldn't help but pet Patches nervously, just now realizing that the lizard probably ate more than ten times the recommended amount. And maybe she ate some of the worms on the floor as well, which is alarming.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" George was the one talking. Nick was just standing there in shock, while the lizard was moving its tail slowly, "You had one job. Literally a single fucking job."

I don't know why that made Clay laugh even harder, but he was squatting now from how intense his laughter was. And everytime he'd look at the fat lizard, he'd laugh even harder.

"I'm sorry. The worms spilled and started to crawl everywhere and it got out of control, I am so sorry."

How I delivered my sentence was embarrassing. I started to break down and cry halfway through it cause George started yelling at me. And as Clay laughed at that even more, I started crying even harder.

I blame everything on my period.

George and Nick were standing there hilariously motionless, not saying a word and not doing a thing. They just looked confused from what was happening.

"What the fuck? Stop crying." George finally spoke, as if I could stop crying on command, "Should we take her to the vet?" He looked at Nick.

"Who? Liz?" Nick pointed at me, "Yeah, I think we should put her down."

Even though I thought his words were about to make me cry harder, the way he delivered them actually made me laugh through the tears. And let's ignore the dying seal noises Clay's making on the ground.

It took us a lot of time and effort to defeat the chaos and plan our next move. George and Nick weren't that scared of the worms, so the plan was for them to go in and inspect the house, see if the carpet was still infested with the disgusting creatures, hopefully clean as much of it as possible so that we could at least spend the night in there.

"Can I borrow your tweezers?" Nick looked at me before going in. I knew that he thought of using it to pick up the worms.

"Use your fingers." I wasn't ready to give up on my tweezers.

And he didn't even mind.

Me and Clay waited outside for a while with Patches and fat Lizzy. Clay would laugh everytime he looked at the belly of the lizard, yet I couldn't find anything funny about it.

"What's so funny?" I finally addressed it.

"Her belly is so round." Clay was laughing at his own words.

"Are you gonna laugh at the mother of your child during pregnancy?" I shook my head, disappointed from his child-like behavior.

"I'll never laugh at you, don't worry."

I parted my lips, pressing them back together as I felt my face burn. Even though both of us didn't include having a baby in our plans for the near future, I got pretty flustered realizing that he saw his future with me.

Thank god Nick and George came out of the house and saved Clay from the awkwardness that was radiating from me.

"The good news is, she didn't eat them all," George showed the bucket that him and Nick refilled with worms, "the bad news is, we didn't check under the furniture, so don't be surprised if some wormies crawl out."

"I'm not going back there," Clay chuckled, "I'd rather sleep outside."

"Oh c'mon, man. We're gonna move out in two weeks anyway, don't be a pussy." Nick wasn't satisfied with Clay's behavior.

We spent more than 30 minutes trying to convince Clay that there were no worms in his room. And we finally succeeded. They got up to go inside.

"I'll join you in a bit, can't find my socks." I laughed, waving at them as they left.

5 minutes in, and I was still searching for my abandoned socks. The only reason I wanted to find them was because I figured it wouldn't be nice to leave them outside of Clay's house, cause it would look ridiculous. But they weren't where I left them, so I guess there's no point in looking for them anymore.

At least that's what I thought when I heard a bark. I jumped instinctively, looking around and seeing a small dog jumping around with one of my socks in its mouth.

I absolutely adored dogs, so without thinking twice about it, I walked towards it and knelt down to pet it and hopefully snatch my sock from its mouth. I noticed that the dog had a top on and a leash, which made me think that the owner had to be around.

And I was right, as I saw a girl running breathlessly towards us, looking relieved when she saw the dog but almost tripping from how quickly she stopped when she saw me.

Am I that scary?

"Hi." I got up, handing the leash to the girl. She was still frozen in her spot.

"H-hey. I'm sorry, he slipped off the leash." I could see her skin tone getting redder and redder under the lamppost light.

"It's okay, he's safe."

She thanked me, smiled, but I could still see the terror in her eyes. And as she turned around to leave, I looked at the dog once again.

And either I need to get my eyes checked, or there really was a smiley at the back of the top the dog was wearing.

Funny enough, the smile looked exactly like the one on the hoodie I was wearing.